The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: Is this possible?

Sandy1000 - Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:59 pm

Is it possible to bite your tongue while simply eating to the extent a chunk of the tongue is torn out. The injury is one quarter inch away from the edge to the middle of the tongue, in the back (if you stick out your tongue all the way, the injured area would touch the front teeth), and does not penetrate the underside of the tongue.
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:17 pm

Hello Sandy,
I don't quite get the picture here. Did this injury actually happen? It seems unlikely.
Sandy1000 - Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:13 pm

The injury really did happen, the emergency room doctor provided 2 stitches. It was actually worse than I could describe. I just don't beleive it could have happened while eating.
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:51 pm

Hello Sandy1000,
I personally have not seen any cases like that. It is known to happen during Epileptic fits and other Seizure conditions but I have never heard of it happening during eating. Theoretically its possible.