doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: clicking noise in throat.. help !!!

jaime4297 - Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:39 am

Hi everyone, this is my first time in here, cool forum ! ok here is the problem, about 4 days ago I devolped this clicking/popping noise in my throat on the right side while swallowing. now if I turn my neck towards the right it does not do it, if I turn it to the left it will. also if I press firmly on the spot (just on the right side of the adams apple) it will not pop.
I had a slight sore throat last week and it has since went away. I guess I feel a little as though I am not swallowing as normal either although that could just be in my head concidering I am not gagging or having any signs of any kind of aspiration.
I did go to my ears nose and throat specialist they did and endoscope (where they stick the tube down your nose to see in your throat) and he saw nothing.
any idea's on what this could be? I read something on some kind of greater curneua on the hyroid bone??? what is that? is it serious???
help !! getting very concerned...
xodownazzhunnixo - Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:30 pm

Hi, I was wondering if the clicking in your throat ever went a way, because I sorta got it 2....I had a sore throat 2 different time and it like clicks when I swallow and I have a hard time swallowing...and I swallow alot more then I use 2. So did urs ever go away???
Mariette - Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:24 pm

I've got this too! Had it for more than a year...it's more of a clicking feeling than a clicking noise. It happens only when I swallow "a certain way". I've had X-rays, barium swallow and the doctor pushing the camera down my throat. She couldn't figure it out. It won't go away and I don't like it. :cry:
mitchbeerwatch - Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:45 pm

Hello All, I have this stupid popping in my throat as well. I just noticed it a cuople of days ago, and it only happens when I am swallowing with my head oriented forward and down a little. If I swallow with my neck extended and to either side it won't pop. I cant stop making it pop, I keep swallowing to see if its gone and its like a downward spiral!!! Anyone ever get any information back on what this is? I am an engineer and I like to knw what is going on and figuring out what is wrong, but the best I can guess is that my salivary gland (which doesnt appear to be swollen) is rubbing against my jaw bone and then "popping" off of it when completing the swallow. Please help anyone!!!!!!!!!1 I am going to go to the doctor soon, but starting to get really worried.
Mariette - Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:05 pm

I don't think the doctors really understand this very well. I agree it's probably some kind of harmless "click" such as what happens to people's knees or inside of their ears sometimes. I would love for it to go away, though. My click came suddenly. My boyfriend had to swallow a camera one day and I was very nervous for him. I kept swallowing. Suddenly, at another huge gulp, my throat "clicked". And it hasn't gone away since. That was about a year and a half ago. Maybe it's forever. :(
lui - Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:14 am

Hey I have the same problem as posted above. It has been about a week and I am getting worried. Have you had any luck finding out what is going on?
elitedreamr - Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:14 am

I have it too! It just suddenly appeared one day and when I swallow I get a little click noise on the left side of my throat. I can also feel like a pop and I can feel it on the outside with my finger placed over the area when I swallow. When I turn to the right it doesn't do it.

Being a smoker I became concerned....Been to the Dr and had the little snake thing down my nose that looks in the throat, nothing found, even had a CT scan and that found nothing as well....It's an annoying little thing I now have to deal with.

On a side note, it ended up costing me about 700 dollars out of pocket because my insurance deductable was 500 and the insurance carrier made me pay 20 percent of the costs.
lui - Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:52 pm

Yeah well it has been 6 months and it's way better now. I think that stress has a lot to do with it. Not so worried now.
hoosier68 - Fri May 11, 2007 6:09 am

jaime4297 wrote:
help !! getting very concerned...

hey man, you just described my symptoms as if you were me. I know its been a while, but have you any info on what the hell it is? are you still with us?
Quofanatic - Sun May 20, 2007 4:22 pm

Im not to sure how to post a topic on here. could anyone help me. Ive got a question to ask but I need to no how to post a topic 1st.

Thank you.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.