doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: throat pain

Dawnti - Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:53 am

Hello, I really hope I get an anwer soon. I haven't visited a doctor because we have no insurance and not alot of extra money. But anyway....Last December I began to get a little hoarse, and I figured it was due to all of the singing and talking I was doing for our churches Christmas choir program. But it lingered for several weeks. About 3 weeks ago it finally went away, and in it's place....a sore throat! I never ran Fever, and as long as I took Ibuprofen, it was fine. This has gone on for about 2 weeks, and for the last few days, my throat has barely hurt and I quit taking anything for pain. Then this afternoon I was noticing that it hurt again, but in a totally different place. the other sore throat was in the normal place, this one is down in my throat farther, I can point to the pain on my neck, and the outside of my neck is slightly tender there also. It feels as though something is in my throat, something hard or swollen, I'm not sure. I've been told by some people to gargle with saltwater, but I don't think I could get the gargle down that far in my throat. Please help me....I guess I should go see a doctor. I hope you have some advice.....Thanks.............Dawn
Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:20 am

Dear Dawnti,

Most cases of sore throat are due to viral infection e. g. as part of flu and cold attack. Bacterial infections on the other hand represent a smaller number of cases. Usually there are other associated symptoms and signs that can point to the possible causative agent.

Viral induced sore throat usually subsides in week with rest and plenty fluid intake. Bacterial infections (group A streptococci is the commonest) causing sore throat need to be treated with Antibiotics.

Experts says that a sore throat that lasts for longer than a week is often caused by allergies, or exposure to humidity, smoking, irritation from heating and cooling systems.

Post nasal discharge and chronic sinusitis are other causes for recurrent sore throat due to irritation by the discharge.

Repeated pharyngitis can also happen seasonally or all year long most commonly due to allergies and in this case usually the allergic individual wake up early in the morning with sore throat.

A sore throat that doesn’t improve or repeated with a short period of time should be investigated properly. By complete history and proper examination your physician can evaluate the cause of this recurrent sore throat and recommend treatment.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright © 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.