doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Hoarse Voice

chicagopepper - Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:03 pm

This happened to me last year and it's happening again this year. I'm starting to wonder if I have to go through this every year. I had the flu and my voice had been hoarse for a few months. No soreness, just sounded rough and harsh. I thought it was because of my smoking, but my voice returned to normal eventually while the smoking continued.

Once again, I'm experiencing harshness with my voice, since November, and it's beginning to worry and annoy me. I've been doing a little research, but I'm not sure if it's caused by a virus since I'm not sick or inflammation of the cords. I'm confused because my voice gets worse after drinking alcohol. Then it becomes better after exercising. People suggest that I rest my voice but it also gets better after warming up my vocal cords with singing exercises.

What is happening and what can I do to get my voice back? I would love to sing again.

Thank you!
Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:44 pm

Hi chicagopepper,
Hoarseness is, generally speaking, caused by irritation of the vocal cords, by smoking, illness and infection among other things. I would suggest that since this is an ongoing problem you have an evaluation done to see if it is smoking related (which doesn't help)or caused by something else.
chatterbug - Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:40 pm

I have had a problem with my throat. It started about 4 months ago when I got a sore throat I got hoarse but the sore throat went away the next day but the hoarseness stayed> I went to the doctor and she gave me a shot and some antibotics. It didnt go away so I went back and she gave me some more antibotics and flonase. She said it is sinuses. It will go away for a few fours and then come back. They done x-rays of my sinsus and they were normal. My nose never runs. What could this be ? I don't smoke. Please help!
Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:46 pm

Hi chatterbug,
Typical causes of laryngitis are infections, viruses, allergies, smoking, etc. Four months is an extended period of time. Any persistent hoarseness which does not resolve in a short amount of time (two weeks or so) should be further investigated. I would strongly suggest that you inquire about a referral to an ENT (ear, nose, throat) specialist to identify if the causative factor is possibly related to allergies, sinuses, etc., or due to a more serious condition.
agoldenstreak - Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:42 pm

I just have a general question concerning my own throat issues. Within the last year or so I've noticed a repeating pattern of my throat becoming sore, which then leads to illness (fever, Cough, etc.) that tends to go away after a couple of days, nothing serious. I assumed that my throat was just easily caught by infections.

However, lately, if I do too much talking (and I don't mean being a chatterbox, just a normal amount of day-to-day conversation), I begin to feel this sort of warmth in my throat, and if I don't use sore throat drops and quit talking, my voice gets hoarse or I lose it.

There are no lumps or apparent redness in my throat, or any other throat pain symptoms as described by other posters on the board.

I was just wondering if anyone has had this/seen it before and has any ideas about what it may be? I'm going in next month to see an ENT about it, but if there is anyone with similar experiences or has dealt with this before, I would love to have your opinions to discuss with the doctor.

Thanks for any and all help!
Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:55 pm

Hi agoldenstreak,
Laryngitis may be acute (lasting a short amount of time) or chronic, (a long lasting duration). Acute laryngitis is typically caused by irritation/infection, etc. Common causes of chronic forms of course are smoking, alcohol intake, GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) and of course more serious conditions. Persistent hoarseness can signal a more serious anomaly. It is quite wise that you are going to have an evaluation by an ENT specialist as in my opinion it is certainly warranted.
Melodic_Ramone - Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:23 am

This is my last hope for help,
first off I just got back from my ear nose and throat doctor, im a regular there now at this point he knows me well....
he probably thinks im a hypocondriac but its not the case.

I am a vocalist, have been singing for about 18 years now, I do alot of operetic vocalizations with alot of power and projection.
well its all gone now,....and my voice is mildly hoarse when I speak.
I have alway spracticed good trained tenique and I don't know why this is happening to me.

Psyically I feel spectacular , I have infinite energy, I feel great at work and never tire ....I don't feel sick.....

This has been going on for 2 weeks now, also along with the mild hoarsness I have slight mild pain in my lower throat,...about 4 inches below my adam's apple. it doesnt go away.

I absolutely do not smoke or drink, I am a fanatic about my voice I won't even touch soda or be around people who smoke, I only drink water, and lots of it.

I have had problems in the past (not exactly like this, but effecting my voice) and have gone to my ENT,
He has put the cammera down my throat and looked in there to clear my consious of the fear of singers nodes.

2 days ago he looked again, and said everything looks fantastic, no nodes polyups or anything....still....

Im wondering what could cause this...could the slight soreness in my lower throat 4 inches below my adam's apple be my thyroid that could that cause this?

I dotn know where to turn now, I have been to 3 different ENTs and they tell me everythign looks fine,...well it doesnt feel fine,...and wheni sing, it certainly doesnt sound fine either.

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it...what tests should be done? what type of doctors should be seen?

please help
if you want to also you may email me at
Edmanharnell@juno. com

thanks
Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:28 pm

Hi Melodic_Ramone,
Most thyroid problems/enlargement, nodules are often detected by a routine physical exam by your physician. Nodules are usually palpated near the thyroid but don't move as your thyroid gland does during swallowing. A thyroid nodule, among other symptoms, may cause hoarseness. An Endocrinologist would be able to determine if a nodule is concerning or if in fact a thyroid disorder is present. If your symptoms do not subside I would suggest an evaluation.
Melodic_Ramone - Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:46 pm

Thanks for the information =)

Im going to talk to my family doctor about running tests

|2amone

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.