doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: Quick course question.

Jacenta - Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:10 pm

I am currently a grade 12 student that will be graduating this coming June. I am going to be upgrading my marks and taking a few courses in the year after. I have a few question though about courses.
Do you need:
Math 12
Calculus 12
Physics 12
Language 12
Phycology 12?

I know you need Bio 12 and Chem 12 and I have taken also Geo 12 , English 12 and History 12 and a few others.
Also before you apply to Med School (Am am wanting to get into the UBC and NUBC med program) do you need to have collage credits of some sort?

Thanks so much to the people that are able to help me. :)
-Jacenta
DHARAM - Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:25 am

Dear Jacenta,
Good question. I am NOT from NORTH AMERICA. HOWEVER, U MUST HAVE MATHEMATICS & ENGLISH for without them we won't be able to correctly interpret the world around us. Phycology & calculus are not really essential in order to get into medschool. However, PHYSICS does play an important part in medicine whichever university you attend in the world, especially medical physics or even biophysics--- enquire whether your school, etc. are offering these subjects e. g. summer courses, etc. THESE SUBJECTS ARE VITAL IF U R GOING TO INTERPRET X-RAYS, CT SCANS, MRI'S, PET SCANS, ETC.With regards to college credits, I AM NOT TOO SURE ABOUT THIS, BUT I DO KNOW THAT YOU MUST HAVE A GOOD GRADE POINT AVERAGE. PLEASE NOTE GPA'S VARY GREATLY DEPENDING ON THE UNIVERSITY U WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND TO GET INTO MEDSCHOOL. WRITE TO ADMISSIONS DEPT. OF UNIVERSITY OF YOUR CHOICE ASKING THEM WHAT ARE THEIR MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO GAIN ADMISSION INTO MEDSCHOOL. KINDLY REPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. GEOGRAPHY & HISTORY ARE NOT REALLY ESSENTIAL.
BEST REGARDS,
D. SAWH M. D., F. R. C. P.

Web-Medic - Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:15 am

Each area requirements may be different, go to the area you plan on practicing in and see what they require and than go to the area you will be studying at and see what they require. If they are that far off, you have a choice to make.

Canadian Federation of Medical Students National Office
130 Slater Street, Suite 750
Ottawa, ON K1P 6E2 Canada
Tel: (613) 565-7740 Fax: (613) 594-8705

The Canadian Federation of Medical Students has a very good website with information on classes starting at high school and on.
_________________
DHARAM - Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:16 pm

Dear Jacenta,
Each area requirements might be different, go to the special area you plan on practicing in & see what they require of you to gain admission into med school.
Kindly contact the following: Canadian Federation of Medical Students National Office
130 Slater Street, Suite 750,
Ottawa, ON K1P 6E2 CANADA,
Tel: (613) 565-7740 Fax: (613) 594-8705

The CANADIAN FEDERATION OF MEDICAL STUDENTS HAS A VERY GOOD WEBSITE WITH PERTINENT INFORMATION ON CLASSES STARTING AT HIGH SCHOOL AND ONWARDS. KINDLY INFORM ME AS TO WHETHER THIS INFO WAS OF ANY ASSISTANCE TO YOU.
BEST REGARDS,
D. A. SAWH M. D., F. R. C. P.(UK)

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.