Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: salty taste in mouth

sylvia_c - Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:32 pm

I have had a salty taste in my mouth for about 6 weeks. About 4 weeks ago I lost about 90 percent of my sense of smell and sense of taste, which I am assuming has to do with the salty taste.
The only medication I am on is synthroid for Hypothyroidism which has been stable for many years. My doctor has not been able to diagnos this. I have had a head xray for sinus problems, and a CT scan for brain tumor both of which turned out clear and negative.
I would appreciate any information or help on this subject.
Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:07 am

Hi sylvia_c,
Apparently sinus disorders and any sort of brain lesion have been ruled out as causative factors, and this symptom is not generally a side effect of synthroid. The sense of smell and taste are very closely related and dysfunctions may have many causes, from recent infections, dehydration, smoking, vitamin deficiencies (B12 specifically), mineral deficiencies, etc. Have you had a recent dental exam to rule out any disorders? If you have had a dental exam then I would consider one of the other above problems.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.