doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: Can old dogs learn new tricks?

isthedrin - Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:47 pm

Hello, I graduated from college in 2000 with a 4-yr degree in Eglish/creative writing. Over the past few years I've seriously given some thought to going into medicine. (I'm 27--I know it's a late to make such a drastic change in life--maybe unrealistic even. As an undergrad, medicine was the farthest thing from my mind so I have very few of the required courses needed for med school admission. However, I did have great grades, etc, including in the science and math courses I did take (In college I had only zoology, algebra and stats that would relate to medicine, although in high school I had gen chem, biology, anatomy/physiology, physical science, etc.) My question is--what would be the most practical way to get on a "fast track to medicine" at this stage in my life? I know I need to start by taking chem 1 and 2, physics 1 and 2, biology 1 and 2, and organic chem 1 and 2. But what would be the best way to get these classes--do med schools accept community college or CLEP credits? Or should I take these classes at a 4-year university to be competitive? Also, anyone know of med school programs designed for people who have BAs in something else? Thanks for any info along these lines :)
thaovan - Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:13 pm

I've been thinking of going to medical school too, and I found the following website to be a great starting point for my research:

http://services. aamc. org/postbac/

It allows you to search for postbaccalaureate pre-medical programs in the USA, even allowing you to narrow your search to programs for career-changers, such as yourself.

Good luck!

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.