The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Eye diseases (Ophthalmology)

Question: Corneal Transplant

camweb - Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:15 pm

I had a rhabdomyasarcoma as a child behind my right eye. During the course of treatment, radiation and Chemotherapy, I lost the vision on my right side. In the 18 years since, my right eye has become ever increasingly red as new veins grow across the eye itself, and more cloudy as the glaucoma or cataracts develop ( I have both although I'm not sure which causes the cloudiness). At this point my eye is very red and the cloudiness is now more and more visible. My question is two fold, would I be a candidate for a corneal transplant, and if so what would the end result be? (reduced redness, cloudiness, etc...) I doubt I will ever have my vision restored as my optic nerve was damaged, or so I've been told. Secondly, would I be advised to pursue having the cataract and or the glaucoma removed? If so what would be the net benefits?

My main concern is my health, and at this point my right eye is in constant pain, which unless I give it specific thought, I've essentially tuned out, or become accustomed to. However, I would also like a cosmetic improvement, I. e. a reduction in redness, and cloudiness.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, my opthamologist is always so short and simply answers no to my questions. At my next appoitment in May I plan to be more active in our discussions, but I'd like to know as much as possible and living in a remote community a second opinion is unfortunately not an option.
Web-Medic - Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:47 am

Hello A. Campbell,

Information on Rhabdomyasarcoma is very limited. Have you tried joining a Rhabdo support group or finding one online? They may have connections for you and may be able to answer your questions. Iím sorry I couldnít find more out about this.