doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: Lump on jawbone...

ajpviau - Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:01 pm

I saw a doctor finally and he says it is a deep tissue pimple. Does this sound like a proper diagnosis. He also said that if it doesn't go away in a week or two to go back and see him. The exact location of my lump/pimple is in the Parotid Gland area, is there anything in this gland that could cause a lump?

Thanks in advance!
Web-Medic - Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:25 am

The parotid gland is the same glands that swell when you get the mumps. They are the 2 largest of our salivary glands and they empty into our mouth. Being that the Doctor actually saw the swollen gland, I wouldnít want to downplay his diagnosis. If it turns out not to be a pimple, another thought would be that you could have a viral or bacterial infection in the parotid gland called parotitis, you may have a salivary duct stone/stones or it can be infected from poor oral hygiene. Being that it is a salivary gland, sour will increase the pain, so will pinching it. Treatment consists of antibiotics, warm compresses, massaging the gland and try to express the content through the duct into your mouth and if it doesnít get any better, your doctor may have to drain it surgically.
ajpviau - Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:18 pm

Thanks for your response! At least I know what to possibly expect now if it isn't a pimple. I have a feeling this might be what it is though. It just seems different than other pimples I have had. Thanks again!!
Web-Medic - Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:15 pm

You are very welcome :wink:

Thank you for contacting us here at The Doctors Lounge
ajpviau - Mon May 02, 2005 1:05 pm

I saw my doc again as the lump has been there for 4 weeks now. I am getting an ultrasound done this week hopefully as he thinks it may be a stone now. It is not as big as before, but when he pressed on it (rather strongly) it hurt like heck!!! If it is a stone...what are the next steps in treatment?
ajpviau - Thu May 19, 2005 2:56 pm

I had my ultrasound done on May 9th and finally got my results yesterday (via phone cause Doc hadn't called me). Apparently the ultrsound showed nothing. What does this mean? My lump has turned into more of a flat mass now then a specific lump. Is an ultrasound 100% conclusive? If this is just a swollen gland would that show on the results? What about a tumors or stones, can these things be missed?

There is something in my cheek in the Parotid area, that I am not imagining. It hurts when pressed very firmly (as the doc did) and it is causing me some discomfort. I get little Headaches that shoot along the jaw up to my temple now (not sure if this is related).

I am visiting my doctor for a follow-up soon. Is there any other kind of test that I can get done to confirm that this is nothing? It's been there for almost 2 months now, it has to be something. Could it really have been a deep pimple and this is just the remnants?
canadian_RN - Sat May 21, 2005 2:47 pm

Did he prescribe you any kind of Anti-inflammatory med? Even like Ibuprofen? (aka Advil, Motrin)....what about Antibiotics? How soon is your follow-up appt? That's good that it's now a flat mass as opposed to an actual lump - at least it's not increasing size - that's a good sign.
ajpviau - Sun May 22, 2005 1:32 am

Thanks for the response. My follow-up is in a couple of weeks. I have been taking Advil whenever I get the Headaches so that is helping. I guess it is a positive that it is no longer a lump. I'll ask my docotor about some Antibiotics as well.

Thanks again
ajpviau - Wed May 25, 2005 2:45 pm

I think I am being extremely paranoid about this now, but in the past couple of days I have started to get a ringing in my left ear throughout the day. Along with the ringing, my left ear plugs up as if I was flying or had a cold. My ear doesn't really hurt, but the same Headaches from before seem to occur around the same time as the ear problem. Could these be related in anyway to the flat mass on my parotid? Or could all these symptoms just be coincidence? I am seeing my doctor in about 2 to 3 weeks time, but if the ear ringing and plugging persists for another day or so, I may go visit him earlier.

Any ideas of what I can ask my doctor or have him test would be very helpful.
Web-Medic - Mon May 30, 2005 6:06 am

Dear ajpviau,

Iím sorry it took so long to respond, I have been gone. Canadian_RN is correct, Anti-inflammatory meds and Antibiotics are next. Parotitis (inflammation of parotid gland) can be caused by stones as well as a viral or bacterial infection. You have ruled out a duct stone and if the gland remains swollen and tender or if you can see pus coming from the Stensonís duct intraorally (inside your mouth) or you can have a swabbing done. Do you have the luxury of seeing an Ear, Nose and Throat Specialist?
ajpviau - Mon May 30, 2005 12:55 pm

Thanks for your response again! I really appreciate all the help!

I am hoping to get a referal from my doctor to see an ENT specialist. I see my doctor next week so I will ask him then, as well as question him about the possibility of an infection of some sort in the parotid. The mass (or former lump) seems to be disappearing more which is a good thing. While it is hard to notice now, it is still there. As I said before, it is kind of a flat (quarter sized) area that is ever so slightly raised but feels a lot firmer then my right cheek in comparison. I'm feeling better about this though as it seems to be going away. We'll see what we find out next week I guess. I am sure some more test will be conducted in regards to my parotid and my new ear problem. I will keep you all posted.

Thanks again for all your help! :D
ajpviau - Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:53 pm

I saw my doc on Friday and it seems like everything is okay with my parotid. The lump can't be felt anymore although I feel like it is still tender (could just be in my head). The ringing and plugging of my ear has subsuded a bit and my doc thinks it may be related to seasonal alergies.

Thanks for all the help everyone has given me in this post. I will be sure to write again if anything new arises regarding my parotid.

:D
btbmom - Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:43 pm

I am experiencing the same thing. I have had a severe pain on the left side of my jaw line for almost a week now. A small bump (about the size of a nickle) has formed under the skin. The bump is directly on my jaw line between my mouth and ear. I do not have any dental problems, but I have had severe Headaches for a week as well. I f anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it.
ajpviau - Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:43 pm

It sounds very similar to what I had. I would suggest seeing a doctor and having it checked. An ultrasound will tell you whether or not it is a stone or something else. I never did get an official answer from my docs as to what mine was, but it gradually went away, over two or three months. Definitely keep an eye on the size of the lump though. I was told if mine got bigger to go back to my doc right away.

Good Luck!
btbmom - Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:17 pm

Thanks for the advice. It is starting to worry me. It has gotten a little bigger and hurts.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright © 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.