doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Nutrition & Diet

Question: I would love to loose like 30 lbs but I cant

angie1974 - Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:59 pm

I am 30 years old. I weight 177 lbs. . I don't look like I weight that much because I am very muscular. I work 12 hour rotating shift. I work out 3-4 times a week. I do aerobics, walking, and weight training. I follow a fairly healthy diet. I eat lots of vegetables and fruit. I have had my thyroid checked it is normal. I would love to loose like 30 lbs but I cannt seem to do it no matter how hard I work @ it. Could there be something medically wrong. My blood work every year comes back in normal range with everything. It is very frustrating. Help
Web-Medic - Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:21 pm

I donít know if this will be much help to you but you may find it interesting. We have lean tissues Ė muscle, bone and organs and we have adipose or fat tissue. What you need to do, if you havenít already done this, is figure out your body fat ratio. The easiest way to do this is by taking a skinfold measurement; it is most accurate when done by a trained tester. A good percentage for most women is between 20% - 25%, when you start falling below 15% body fat (women) you can have disorders such as amenorrhea, osteoporosis and other hormonal related problems. As we age, our fat cells get fatter to hold more calorie storage so, to decrease your percent of body fat and shrink those fat cells down you need to cut the calories you consume and increase the calories you burn. Aerobic exercise is the most effective way to decrease body fat, work with a trainer so you can tone without gaining mass (unless you want muscle mass). As always, consult your Health Care Provider before you start any new diet or exercise program.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright © 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.