doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Nutrition & Diet

Question: Headaches after eating

Renette - Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:56 pm

I have been suffering from Headaches that occur only after I eat. Sometimes I feel light headed and must lie down for a few minutes. The Headache can last about 30 minutes to an hour. I've been experiencing these symptoms for a few days now. I'm not on any medications and I do not have any medical conditions. What may be causing this problem. Should I see a doctor or wait a few days to see if it will go away?
Web-Medic - Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:27 pm

This could be caused from a developing food allergy. Have you noticed if your Headaches are after a certain meal or if it is after eating a “trigger” foods such as sugar, chocolate, caffeine, cheese, milk, nuts, Chinese food, MSG, alcohol? Have you ever been checked for Hyperglycemia (Diabetes)? I would recommend seeing your Health Care Provider and requesting bloodwork and a good checkup if you haven’t had one done recently.
Renette - Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:23 pm

Thanks for your prompt reply ;)

I haven't eaten anything out of the ordinary. After eating foods like vegetables, fruit and even oatmeal will trigger Headaches and sometimes lightheadness. It doesn't seem to matter what type of food is consumed.

I will take your advice and make an appointment with my doctor; however appointments, on average, is a 3 to 4 week wait. Is there anything I can do to minimize my symptoms until I can see the doctor?
Web-Medic - Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:42 am

You can start by ruling things out, try not to eat anything with sugar, fructose or carbohydrates (white flour, potatoes, oats, wheat, etc) in it for a meal or two and see if you get a Headache. It might take a few meals before you start feeling a difference, give it a little time. Eat high protein for a day and see how you feel and than add carbohydrates into the next meal and see if you get a Headache. Carbohydrates are sugars for our bodies and if you have hyperglycemia this may trigger Headaches for you. The second thing you may want to rule out is salt, try eating low sodium meals for a day and see how you feel. The other thought I had is possible dehydration, this is one of the most common causes of Headaches. Your Physician may allow you to have an order to get bloodwork done prior to your appointment so you can have the results for your visit, this will save time for you.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright © 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.