Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Eye diseases (Ophthalmology)

Question: please help me

pokey - Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:33 pm

about 5 weeks ago I was diagnosed with pink eye, they didn't do a swab or anything the doctor just looked at it, it lasted for over 2 weeks (the redness). no one in my family caught it even tho my husband would use my pillows and my towels but now it is so sensitive (both eyes are sensitive), but the infected one is worse, when I am in a car, I cant open my eyes for the whole ride, I have to wear sunglasses to watch tv at nite, and I cant read a book for very long, they start closing cuz they hurt and won't stay open it's awful what can this be???
Web-Medic - Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:08 pm

Did they give you any medication for your eye? You should ask your Physician to swab your eye to recheck that the treatment is appropriate for the infection if you feel it isnít working.

Conjunctivitis is inflammation of the conjunctiva which is a thin, clear membrane covering the white of the eyeball and the inside of the eyelid. There are different causes of conjunctivitis and treatment will differ depending upon the cause.

Viral conjunctivitis usually affects only one eye and causes excessive eye watering and a light discharge.
Bacterial conjunctivitis affects both eyes and causes a heavy discharge, sometimes greenish.
Allergic conjunctivitis affects both eyes and causes Itching and redness in the eyes and sometimes the nose, as well as excessive tearing.
Giant papillary conjunctivitis (GPC) usually affects both eyes and causes contact lens intolerance, Itching, a heavy discharge, tearing and red bumps on the underside of the eyelids.

To pinpoint the cause and then choose an appropriate treatment, your doctor will ask some questions, examine your eyes, and possibly collect a sample on a swab to send out for analysis. Always wash your hands before touching your eyes, try to keep touching at a minimum and donít use eye drops unless directed to by your Physician, even to get the red out Ė they make the irritation worse.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright © 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.