doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: WHAT DOES AN IMMUNOLOGIST DO ?

Sherille - Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:03 pm

Im currently a highschool Junior and it`s time for me to start looking into carrers and for a major for college. Im really interested in science and medicine. I been looking into what an immunologist does, but im not to sure of what the college requirements are as far courses I will have to take and post graduate school. If anyone is an immunologist, could you please tell me what exactly it is that you do and how many years of school I will need to attend. also is Michigan State a good college to attend for science ?

Does anyone know what type of Doctor, Dr. House is on that T. V show "HOUSE" on FOx?
Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:55 pm

Dear Sherille,

well, Immunology is the science of The immune system(immunity)...It's very specific...yet very IMPORTANT....The immune system apart from being your body's defensive system, sometimes it goes crazy and causes you a disease I. e. the immune system even plays a role in most of the diseases these days .

It's a very interesting field....helps a lot of people in all aspects. A new trend in Medicine...and what's also new and extremely as important as immunology...is genetics, especially with the increasing incidence of cancer among people all over the world.

To study either of them , you have to enter Medicine. I think it takes about 6-7 years to finish it...2-3 years premedical and 3-4 years medical, I am not sure how's it like in the States?(will contact a friend of mine and tell you )

you can check out websites of medical schools near you. send them e-mails and they'll reply back and even send ua prospectus of their school and its facilities by post.

There is a nice and simple book for immunology... you can read it, it's easy and actually very funny!!... called " how does the immune system works" by Lauren Sompayrac .

anyway, I hope I've helped, and about Dr. House on the tv show "house"...I'll check it out and tell you :) , never watched it before!

Best wishes,
Sherille - Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:51 pm

thanks alot for your info, you really helped me out. :D Do you think you could ask your friend, what he or she considers to be a good university for my major. I've been considering The University of Michigan, Oklahoma University, or The University of Texas at Austin.
Thanks again.
Neo776 - Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:14 pm

Sherille wrote:

Does anyone know what type of Doctor, Dr.
House is on that T.
V show "HOUSE" on FOx?

I think he's a diagnostician with a double specialty of infectious disease and nephrology.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.