Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Temporary Hearing Loss Thats not really hearing loss

hypochondriac2184 - Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:25 am

Hi, I have a problem with my ears, usually one at one time, that only started when I was pregnant with my last child. It seems to only happen when I get water in my ears from the bathtub (I know, I know, Swimmer's Ear), the thing is, there aren't really any symptoms of swimmer's ear. It basically sounds like I am underwater, I can still hear, but it's muffled. And there really isn't any pain except when I get stupid and plug my nose and blow to try to relieve the pressure, then it hurts really bad and after I stop and let go of my nose, my ear pops repeatedly for about 5 seconds and it hurts really bad. I've been to my PCP and she flushed my ears thinking it was wax buildup and she said she really couldn't see anything visibly wrong and she referred me to an ENT, it was over, it usually only lasts about a week..... Any help?

NikkyLeClair - Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:53 pm

It could be eustation tube dysfuction...although an ENT would be the one to tell you for sure. Eustation tubes are what drain the fluid out of your ears.

Nikky, MA

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.