doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Sports medicine

Question: Aerobic Excersise suggestion

Acrobat - Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:28 am

Hi, this may sound silly but its a real problem I have. I have agorophobia which means I don't like leaving the house. Ive been putting on alot of weight and feel generally unfit and unhealthy. I did situps but it built muscle under the fat on my stomache and I don't want that.

Can anyone suggest a good aerobic excersise that will help me burn off fat from all over my body and get my heart pumping? I cant go running because I don't like going outside and feel paranoid. And I tried skipping but I couldnt get a good work out from it because my arms just got tired.

I don't have any stairs I can run up or down, and running on the spot doesnt work well enough. I tried doing shuttle runs (10 paces in one direction then back the other way and repeat) but I heard that is bad for joins like knees and ankles. Is that true? So I need something I can do in the back yard that is aerobic like squat thrusts or something, but more aerobic and for the entire body and that doesnt build muscle.

p. s. I hardly eat any calories or sugar or fatty foods but I hardly leave the house so I don't burn off any calories at all, so I get fat easily.
Summit - Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:06 am

I would check with a therapist for the phobia problem. As far as the exercise goes, get a good jump-rope and maybe a jumpping video off the internet. It is cheap and a great workout when you learn the different ways to jump. I think you should seriously seek a therapists help more than anything. I'm not a doctor though, and it is just my opinion.
Acrobat - Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:19 am

Thanks Summit.

I will try with the rope again and keep doing it to break a sweat and hopefully get fitter. As for a therapist, ive always been scared of going to one because there is a bigger stigma about it here in the UK compared to in the US. I might consider it tho.

And in honesty, im not really very agoraphobic, but I have a similar problem which im kinda embarassed to mention because its quite silly sounding.
Dresta - Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:57 pm

Hi Acrobat,

I am not a doctor either but I was involved in a good workout regimen that helped me burn alot of calories and lose about 30 lbs. all over. Beachbody. com or Power 90. It is a mix of cardio and sculpting and other things. Its basically cardio every other day and sculpting every other day with one day of rest. Check it out.

It did wonders for my wife and I and we also used an online progress program for diet and exercise and also chatroom setup for interaction between other people doing the program all over the world.

Pretty cool stuff. The hardest part is the first couple weeks. (it is in everything). But I guarantee that it will be fulfilling.

Hope I can help.

Take care. :D
lasalle - Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:31 pm

I'm a 24yr/old female who had difficulty with a marathon. I had trained for 18 weeks doing all the required long distance training runs (19-20 milers) with no problems with dehydration even in the hot summer months. When I ran this weekend in chicago the temps were 50-62*F. I followed my same pre-race routines eating and drinking fluids as I did in training. I was urinating pre-race and during race as usual and taking gatorade high endurance that was offered at the "aid stations". By the 6 mile mark I was feeling dizzy. The gatorade was giving me Nausea so I just took water at the aid stations after that. At 13 miles I was still dizzy, and I was soooo thirsty but when I drank water it just sat in my stomach ( I could feel it when I ran) At 17 it was getting difficult to run: still dizzy, couldn't get my breath and no matter how much I drank I was still thirsty. I did finnish, but I walked alot in between short runs. I ended up in the medical tent afterwards and they said I as dehydrated. I don't understand how I could get dehydrated starting at 6 miles when I had followed my training with taking in fluids pre-and during the race. The only thing I did different was take 1dose of DayQuil COld and Flu 18 hours before the race because I thought I was starting to get a cold(scratchy throat)[/I]
Acrobat - Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:22 am

Hi all, I couldn't figure out how to make a new topic so I decided to post in this one. Its maybe related anyway.

Since my post ive managed to lose lots of weight and im much fitter and healthier now. My problem of going outside is gone now too and I manage to go for a jog a few times a week.

My body is much fitter now and looks much better and I have a 6 pack stomache. Unfortunatly I have one problem I just cant get rid of. My neck....

It looks like its sagging alot and its only happened since I turned about 25, so im aware its a natural thing that happens with age. But the skin itself is actually very firm, and under the skin is very firm and I can feel my tongue etc... Basically what im saying is that there is no fat on my neck or under my chin, but it still has gone from sloping upwards from under my chin to my neck, through horizontal and now its sloping downwards from my chin down to my adam's apple.

It changes the whole appearance of my face and I look alot older now. I know people can get surgery to get a neck tuck or whatever, but I don't think that would help me because its not lose skin. I can make it go back to looking like a perfect 18 year old by pushing my tongue against my teeth or by closing my throat. Unfortunatly I cant breath when my throat is closed :P and I cant push my teeth with my tongue forever.

So does anyone know an excersise I can do to fix or atleast improve my neck? Its really something that bothers me alot and will effect my profession. I have seen people older than me and even people in their 30's who have a perfect neck and jawline and don't have the problem I have. Some do.... and obviously everyone is different from heriditary and genetic reasons, but I have to find something I can do to atleast improve my neck, its noticable to other people so not in my mind.

Please help.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.