Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Student Topics

Question: Physician misquoted costs

DrZhivago - Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:53 am

I've been seeing the same doctor for several years now and have been happy for the most part. A couple weeks ago he recommended that I get a CT scan for precationary measures. I do not have insurance and he knows this. I asked him how much it would cost and he said between $500 and $800. He told me he knows it's expensive for me, but recommended I do it. Long story short, I just received the bill for the CT scan/s and it is almost $5, 000 for apparently two cat scans (didn't I realize I needed two), a contrast media, and a seperate bill from a company called Radia.

What should I do about this? I depend on my doctor, not only for medical reasons, but to I depend on him to be looking out for my best interests in all areas and to explain all my options medically and financially.

Any advice is appreciated.
Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:32 am

This is ridiculous!

There must be a procedure for complaints to the parties involved. If you have not complained to your doctor, do so immediately and ask him to assist you in filing a complaint to the parties who billed you.

You have every right to be upset about the misrepresentation of costs and prohibitive bill.
I am assuming of course that you did not receive any other investigations or treatment that you are unaware of.

I hope you are successful with your complaint.

Dr Anthony Solomon

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.