doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: want to become a doctor

Anonymous - Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:10 pm

hi im in high school in florida and I am really wanting to become a doctor. I want to become a doctor working in the e. r. I want to go to UF and then move to downtown atlanta and work there. Can anyonw help me with information on how I can prepare my self to become a doctor. like what classes I need to take. what classes would help me in high school and what classes in college. Then I belive I have to attend pre-med at the medical school at UF. (how long is pre-med) Then how long is my intership and before I become a doctor working in the e. r. Please someone reply all I think about is becoming a doctor when I grow up. Please someone help me with information. Thank you.
DeLWolcott - Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:22 am

Get as much science and math as you can. Becoming fluent in Spanish would be a plus in your area and in the ER. When you begin college, your advisor will be able to list the classes necessary for medical school admission. Pre-Med is not a major. Your college major could be Music, but you can apply for med school as long as you have all of the required classes and grades to back them up.

You can begin your research by going to the college you are planning on attending for undergraduate studies. Universities have information books that list the different degrees available, and if they are directly affiliated with a medical school, they will have requirements also listed for admission.

Good luck in your ambitions! There are many different ways you can get where you want to go. Decide wisely and work hard!
med-geek - Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:48 am

At the University I plan on attending in Canada, they offer two ways to become a doctor. One is through this new BHSc. (Bachelor Of Health Sciences) and the other is simply through a regular BSc. (Bachelor Of Science). I don't know which one I should set my sights on. I can take the right courses in both programs but one is already in the Faculty Of Medicine. The BHsc. seems kind of boring and it would only allow me to work in a hospital environment. The BSc. would allow me to apply my education elsewhere if I change my mind (HIGHLY UNLIKELY).

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks :D
Med-Geek
MUSChopeful - Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:46 am

I am 19 in college at Clemson University and am having a really hard time in college mainly because I was not adequately prepared in High School for math or sciences; however I have a passion for science and have been dreaming of becoming an doctor in the field orthopedics, specifically in surgery. Do any of you have words of advice? I have recieved below par grades in math and biology, I am currently taking a semester off to do some hardcore tutoring in these subjects to try and cope with what is ahead of me. My major at Clemson is microbiology.
Dr. K. Eisele - Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:30 pm

MUSChopeful:

I think the first thing to do is find out what the medical school's prerequisites are.

When I went to med school (not that long ago), there was no particular undergraduate course of study that you had to complete. For example, some of the students in my med school had degrees in art history, engineering, etc. I will say that you should probably avoid underwater basket-weaving, though.

Study what you enjoy, and what you do the best, because it will help you open your mind, and learn how to think. That is what college is for, after all.

Then, once you are in your senior year of undergraduate college, take the prescribed prerequisites. Usually they are Biology I & II, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Anatomy and Physiology or Biochemistry, and maybe Physical Sciences. Usually only introductory level classes are required.

Having done that, get yourself into one of MCAT prep courses. They are designed to teach you not only some of those basics, but they also teach you how to do well on the MCAT.

Hope this helps.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.