doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Throat hurts

thekatt - Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:34 am

My throat hurts when I laugh or Cough. It's a very scratchy dry painful feeling that lingers for a good few minutes after a Cough or laugh. I went to an ENT, two of them, and they found nothing as said maybe it was acid reflux. I personally feel like that is not it. Tried the purple pill for a couple of months and nothing. In the beginning it used to hurt when I talked even, now it's just after a good laugh or Cough. I think I can trace it back to a rowdy scream during a football game, but both my ENTs said there was no damage that they could see. Could this be a pinched nerve of some sort? It's been around for 3 months! Any ideas??
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:21 pm

Hello thekatt,
Has your voice changed in tone?
If your ENT doctors say that its ok then there is probably nothing wrong with you. If there were even the slighest inflammation they would easily be able to see it. The problem with throat symptoms is that they are more often associated with psychological problems (neurosis, Anxiety). Once an organic cause is ruled out then a psychogenic cause for your symptoms is all that is left.
thekatt - Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:03 pm

Thanks for your reply.

So what should I do? Do you think I should go see a neurologist or something? I mean, the discomfort and pain is certainly there, so I don't know if maybe it's a different field of doctor that I need to see. Maybe they would look for something that an ENT wouldn't?

And to answer your question, no, the tone in my voice hasn't changed. Everything seems normal when I talk...now if I shout, I can feel that same type of discomfort, though not quite the same as when I laugh or Cough..
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:43 pm

Neuropsychiatrist. He would also rule out a psychogenic cause for this while at the same time evaluating you from a neurologically.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.