Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: thanks for helping me decide what I should be

hp - Sun Jan 12, 2003 4:44 pm

thanks to the people that replied to my question I appreciate it and I hope that it will help me decide what I want to be. I think that since I am only a high school student that maybe I will go to our local hospital and talk to some of the doctors. My aunt is an optometrist and my mother is an LPN so I can always talk to some of there friends that they work with. thanks again hp
thedocto - Sun Jan 12, 2003 10:30 pm

Dear Hp,
First of all you have to answer the question: would you like to deal with patients or do you want to teach medicine or do you want to do medical research? A researcher is more or less like any other scientist he usually doesnt have anything to do with patients. A teacher of medicine could be both a clinical doctor and university professor, or he could be a teacher of academic medical sciences such as anatomy. A clinical doctor, like the ones you see on ER are responsible for patient care (they are also the ones that take night shifts).
So lets start from here, ok?
Anonymous - Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:53 am

Hey Hp. I think to be a good doctor - you need to prepare yourself for everything.
First you start with being a good student.
You can only be a good student if you are a good teacher.
That means - you can teach other people what you have learned.
You can't really be a good teacher - if you don't Practice what you Preach.
So to be a good teacher - you need to have experience.
To have experience you have to be on the field. (as in the hospital or in any medical environment.)

See? Its linked all together - after which - you can figure out what - or where you want to concentrate more.

Hope I helped in some way.

I am still a student myself - planning to teach - and practice as well.
Anonymous - Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:43 pm

Can one jump from being an LPN to a PA(phys. Asst) ? This question is from a friend of mine. She is a new LPN grad and she wants to become a PA not a NP (nurse Practitioner) What is the difference? Should she go on for at least an ADN before trying PA? Thanks :roll:

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.