Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Eye diseases (Ophthalmology)

Question: Eye injury/irregular pupil

cuberoot - Sat May 14, 2005 11:04 am

I was hit in the eye with a squash ball a week ago. I had blood in my eye and went to an optometrist. My pupil was also an oblong shape. I was given pilocarpine drops to constrict the pupil and maxitrol which I think was to clear up the blood.

The blood is now gone and my eye looks much better. The pilocarpine drops constrict my pupil to a tiny size. My problem is that when the drops wear off, my pupil is large, slightly irregular and it does not constrict or dilate. It stays much larger than my healthy pupil. Is that because the pupil may still be affected by the drops.

I don't understand why?The eye muscles seem to be working because the drops cause them to constrict. Could there be nerve damage? I am planning to go the optometrist again next week.

Theresa Jones, RN - Mon May 16, 2005 11:54 am

Hi cuberoot,
My first question for you is how is your vision in that eye, clear, blurred, sensitive to light, etc.? The pilocarpine was likely prescribed to reduce the ocular pressure in the eye. I would relate your symptoms to the injury itself and suspect a possible structural damage rather than the relationship of the eydrops themselves. It's good to know that you are going to have a follow up with the optometrist. Be sure to keep your appointment.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.