Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: Tooth Abcess & Sudden Flu-like Symptoms

BD - Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:03 pm

Hi I had a question.

This morning I woke up feeling not-so-great, and as the morning progressed it got worse until I was nauseus and had to leave class. My symptoms include:

All-Over Headache, Stiffness on the lower neck/upper back, Nausea, 101. 2 temperature, tiredness, Over-all malaise.

About 10 days ago I had a very corroded tooth built up (bottom back molar). As soon as the novacaine wore off I got an amazing toothache. I told my dentist but he couldn't do anything cause I was moving the next day. Since then the toothache has continued (under my chin, on the side, and a small earache) and I have had to take Ibuprofen twice a day to get rid of the pain. This morning when I woke up the pain was considerably less, I haven't had to take any pain killers at all today.

My question is - is it possible that the tooth could've drained an infection into another part of my body and that is why I am feeling so sick & sore now but the toothache has lessened? Or am I just being paranoid and it's probably the flu?

Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:34 pm

Is your tooth tender when you press on it slightly? Caries can be a source of infection. I would advise you to see a dentist soon regardless of whether this is the cause of the Fever or not. You should be examined and evaluated for Fever. A simple physical examination can reveal the source of your infection most of the time.

Best wishes,

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.