doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Re occuring strep throat?

Jessie - Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:04 pm

I started getting sore throats last christmas, at the time they were not too painfull and I thought they were just Viral infections which my doctor could not really do anything about so I didnt get them checked out.
Last March I developed a extreamly painfull sore throat and a 'rash' (which I later found out was guttate psirosis) I saw a doctor who told me I had strep throat and put me on a course of penicillin. The sore throat seemed to clear up untill the beginning of April when it came back and I was put on another course of Antibiotics.Then again late April I was put on amoxcillin for the same thing. Beginning of May I went back to the doctors as this sore throat still hasnt cleared up, he gave me a spray, which I tryed untill I couldnt bare the pain anymore and went back two days ago. He has now put me on Trimethoprim and sent me for a blood test today. He is testing FBC, LFT, U+E and glocouse. Would anyone be able to tell me what he is testing for? I am at wits end, I am so much pain with my throat and just want it to stop.
Shannon Morgan, CMA - Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:36 am

There is no "one" thing your doctor is testing for; these tests are just basic chemistry, liver function, and blood cell counts routinely done to find any abnormalities of the blood and/or organs. If there are abnormalities, it will direct the doctor where to go from there.
matthew111 - Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:12 am

Drink and gargle some Warm Green tea or White Tea. upto around 5 cups throughout the day.

It will kill the Bacteria because of the Catechins in green tea.

Green Tea has powerful antioxidants that will benifit you and boost your immunse system. Here is a list of benifits you may get from Green Tea Link

There are reports coming out almost everyday on the benifits of Green Tea. I know that it might have certainly helped me avoid many viruses that have come my around here.

Hope you get better soon !

Other links you may want to check out;

Link

Quote:
Green Tea's Effect on Strep Throat
article submitted on 12/29/04

Studies now indicate that green tea has an adverse effect on the bacteria that causes strep throat, dental caries (tooth decay), and other infections. In a study conducted at Pace University, researchers mixed green tea with several types of bacteria, including the bacteria that causes strep throat and tooth decay. They found that green tea was effective at inhibiting the bacteria's growth.

Link
purplecandyqueen - Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:01 pm

I'm not a dr but I do know what you are going through I went through tthe same thing. I also developed rashes and stuff like that... looked more like hives to me. I went to my dr and he did a blood test and found that my strept throat had turned into scarlette Fever. I was on 5 different meds for that. Hydrocodone, Amoxicilin and some creams for the Itching and a pain reliver. It took 3 weeks of laying in bed and not being able to see anyone for it all to completely heal up. Now I will tel you how I got it. MY boyfriend at the time was a carrier for strpt throat wich I did not know at that time. But I always knew I was prone to get it. I almost didnt make it bc I kept putting it off and thinking mothing of it. So your one up on what I did. You actually went to the dr right away. I did not and almost ended up in th ER. So ask your DR. about scarlette Fever and see what he says.
canadian_RN - Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:28 am

1) When you've been taking these Antibiotics for your Strep throat, have you taken them faithfully, not missed any doses, ensured not to drink alcohol while on them? I ask because if a person misses doses, the Antibiotics won't work as they're supposed to - and they won't totally eradicate the Strep bacteria. Also...some people mistakenly stop taking their Antibiotics before they're finished them.....often because they're "feeling better"...doing so can cause the same problem, and increase the chance of a person developing resistance to that Antibiotic. Alcohol can decrease the effectiveness of Antibiotics as well.

2) Considering this is your 3rd bout of a sore throat, has your doctor ever done a Swab/Culture of the back of your throat - to ensure the cause of your sore throat IS Strep and not something else? A culture is basically taking a special sterilized long Q-tip, making contact with the area....to collect whatever bacteria might be present there.....then it's sent off to be analyzed..and to determine what type of bacteria is there...THEN they do a "Sensitivity"...to see which type of Antibiotic would work the best for that particular type of bacteria.

Has your doc tested you for Mono? (mononucleosis)

Any other symptoms? Joint pains? Fever? weight loss? Headaches? ear aches? Coughing? sneezing?
Jessie - Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:51 am

canadian_RN wrote:

I deffintly took the whole course of Antibiotics each time and didnt drink with them. The only thing I can think of is when I started to feel better I did sometimes forget to take them on a empty stomach this was with the amoxicillin. Would that cause them not to work?
I had a throat culture at the dematoligists when they diagnoised guttate psirosis, she told me that guttate psirosis can sometime come out when a person has strep throat. I never actully found out the results to that :roll: But I am taking it that the results would go in my notes and the doctor would have read it right? They certainly didnt do a sensitivity test though.
I thought about Mono, isnt that glandular Fever when your glands swell up? He hasnt tested me for it no, he has felt my glands everytime I go back and I don't think they are swollen. He has never said they were anyway.
I have been getting Headaches quite alot. I also had an ear infection in the middle of getting the sore throat back. I sometimes also get 'shooting' pains up my throat to my ear.
But I havent had any of the other symptoms you mentioned.

I am very gratefull for all of your help and suggestions, I will certainly take a look at the green tea if nothing else to boost my immune system.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.