The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: Humanitarian Work

med-geek - Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:51 pm

Hi!
I have seen the commercials and have looked at the websites for aid agencies like Doctors Without Borders. In what field would these doctors specialize, to be able to do this work?

Kim RN - Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:39 am

Hi med-geek,

Think about what you'd see when going to a third world country where health care is substandard or non-existent. People may need corrective surgery for a birth defect, or they've had devastating injuries that need intervention. Older folks have cataracts and think they're blind. Dental hygiene is often poor. Ear infections, Diarrhea, communicable diseases, obstetrical/gynecological issues, heart disease, immunizations... The list is endless.

I imagine that ANY specialty would be useful. Were you thinking of specializing in something with the purpose of serving in this capacity?? That would be wonderful... I would think that if you email one of these agencies, they'd be happy to give you advice.

Good luck... and if you find something out, let me know. I'm curious now! :D