Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: help with a question regarding check-up fees

jiu66 - Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:57 am

My father, who is approaching his seventies, is visiting me on a Visitorís visa now. Over the past couple of months he experienced recurring hoarseness in his voice. I checked on the web trying to find out whatís wrong with him, and was frightened by the possibility that he might suffer throat cancer since my father have been a heavy drinker most of his life. I know I should take him to a physician for a thorough check-up as soon as possible. But since he only has a visitorís insurance, which does not cover anything considered as a pre-exiting condition. I am wondering if anybody can tell me whether American physicians ever accept patients without proper health insurance, and if they do, how much I should expect to pay for an accurate diagnosis of my fatherís throat problem at a physicianís office?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:05 pm

Hi jiu66,
My understanding of a pre-existing condition is a medical condition in which advisement, diagnosis, or treatment has been rendered by a medical professional within approximately the last six months. If you father has not previously been treated for a condition it should not be categorized as a pre-existing illness. My suggestion to you would be call the (800) number which should be located on the back of the card and inquire what's their definition of a pre-existing condition. As for physician's offices, many will arrange a payment plan when no insurance etc. is available.
jiu66 - Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:13 am

Hi Rntdj,

Thank you so much for your generous help. I'll follow your advice and make some inquries.

Thanks again,

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright © 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.