doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Nutrition & Diet

Question: Fall asleep after eating

Deb59 - Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:58 pm

Quote:
Please can anyone suggest what could be wrong with my husband. He is 49 years old and suffers from high blood pressure, but apart from this is fairly healthy. But, he always falls asleep after eating even very small meals. This can happen at any time of day or night, and may last for anything from 10 minutes to several hours and I can't wake him up. The doctors say that it may some form of narcolepsy and prescribes him dexamphetamine 5mg tabs but really this does not seem to help him much. He does have some food allergies and hay Fever but I don't think that this is the problem as he is like this winter and summer.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Shannon Morgan, CMA - Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:00 pm

How many days did he take the medication? Did you inform your doctor that it wasn't effective? Perhaps he needs a higher dose.
Deb59 - Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:36 pm

He's been taking this medication for about 18 months now, and the dr has increased the dose to 6 x 5mg tabs per day in divided doses throughout the day. This has helped a bit, but he still gets really drowsy.
Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:18 pm

I suggest he see his doctor to discuss perhaps a different medication. Does he have a hard time sleeping at night? If so, that could add to his daytime drowsiness.

There are medications that are stronger than dexedrine, and if he has trouble sleeping at night, perhaps something to help him sleep better. There are medicines for narcolepsy to help with that.
Deb59 - Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:31 pm

He doesn't have any trouble sleeping at night, and I think if he had any sleeping tabs, he would probably not wake up for days. What medications are there specifically for narcolepsy? The dexamphetamine was prescribed by the specialist at the sleep clinic for this problem, and he says that when he is awake, he can concentrate much better. But, it still doesn't properly solve the problem of getting really sleepy after eating. Could this just be another part of narcolepsy? Is this one of the symptoms? The dr says that it is not classic narcolepsy, but is certainly bordering on it.
Deb
Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:10 pm

Modafinil (Provigil) is now considered to be the first choice of therapy for narcolepsy; thought to be more effective than amphetamines with less side effects. Talk to your doctor about trying that. Good luck! :D

Shannon

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.