doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Very debilitating symptoms

elley0531 - Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:21 pm

Hi. Ever since the end of April I have been feeling pretty lousy. Here's what I've been dealing with:

end of April I got a terrible sore throat, worst sore throat I've ever had, could hardly swallow due to pain. Took Antibiotics and it went away. Week later I got another sore throat which hurt but not as bad as the first one...took no Antibiotics and it went away on its own. Week after that I got a terrible bout of Sinusitis, pounding behind my eye, swollen glands, and terribly inflamed sinuses. Took Antibiotics and it got rid of it. Bout 2 weeks later I moved, and injured a rib (I think) in the process and have been dealing with chest wall pain due to it.

About two weeks ago I got a dry hacking Cough for about 3 days, and then a bout of mucus build up from my nose (I could breathe fine, but had to blow my nose many times a day due to all the mucus).

That went away about a week ago and ever since last Thursday I've had swollen neck glands (started in left side of neck, moved to the right). The glands (nodes/tonsils...not sure what they are) that are swollen are the ones next to my throat under my chin, and the ones under the ear right at the curve of the jaw line. The ones under my chin are mobile, the ones under my ears are hard as rocks and not really mobile. Some are tender/sore some are not. Now all I have is the swollen glands and general feeling of tiredness and overall Depression from being sick so often and not being able to enjoy life The only plus is that the inflamed rib seems to be healing.

My new health insurance does not start till mid August, so I am asking for advice or what this could all mean, so please don't tell me to see a doctor, I know this is what I need to do and I will as soon as my insurnace kicks in.

Background info:

had Lyme Disease for nearly a year as a child, but it was basically cured.
Just started new job in NYC mid May (right after sinusitis)
Just moved last weekend of May

Please help :cry:
Deb59 - Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:48 pm

Have you ever had Glandular Fever? Have you ever been diagnosed with sinusitis?
It could posibly be either of these two. You would need to get a full blood count done to establish whether the white cell count is elevated or not. A raised white count would be indicative of a bacterial infection somewhere, but alternatively maybe you have picked up Glandular Fever, in which case you would need blood tests for serology to test for this. Unfortunately, you do need to see the dr to get these tests done, unless you have a good friend working in pathology who could do it for you on the side!
elley0531 - Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:31 pm

OK I have an appointment Saturday with a doctor. I don't get insurance until mid August, but I'm getting really nervous. Since I can't really afford this but am scared of cancer, I need to know what to ask the doctor on Saturday as far as what tests to do. So far since I last posted this topic the glands on the right side of my neck continue to swell, making my neck on the right side of my body ache, mornings are normally fine, but by evening it gets bothersome. There is one gland in particular that is the worst, and its mobile, soft, and not irregular, but right under my ears where the jaw meets the rest of the skull there is a large very hard immobile lump on each side of my head. I'm tired but not so much that I can't function, so I don't know if this has anything to do with it. I guess I'm concerned this could be cancer since its been about a month now. Please help.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.