doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Throat Problems

Lil Kis - Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:25 am

Ok well about 5 days ago I woke up and realized I had a really bad sore throat. It felt horrible and still hasn't gone away even today. I always have these to. I went to the doctor the last time I had one of these and put me on a medication I don't remember which I took and finally it went away. He recommend I need my tonsils removed but he said this was a maybe and only if I keep on getting them. Really do you recommend my tonsils removed? What is the purpose of tonsils anyways? I never had surgery before so I'm afraid to do this. Also I looked up information about this on the internet the other day and found articles about having too many sore throats could mean Laranyx or throat cancer? SHould I get this checked out too? WHat machines would they need to use if I wanted to get these checked out? Thanks
Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:54 pm

Dear Lil Kis,

Most cases of sore throat are due to viral infection e. g. as part of flu and cold attack. Bacterial infections on the other hand represent a smaller number of cases.

Usually there are other associated symptoms and signs that can point to the possible causative agent. Viral induced sore throat usually subsides in week with rest and plenty fluid intake.

Bacterial infections (group A streptococci is the commonest) causing sore throat need to be treated with Antibiotics. Infectious Mononucleosis is a type of virus EBV induced sore throat that lead to recurrent sore throat with swollen tonsils and Lymph nodes in addition to other specific symptoms and signs.

Streptococcal pharyngitis and EBV infection are usually difficult to be differentiated.

If you suffer from recurring sore throats, it's also possible that
your toothbrush needs to be changed as it may transmit the infection for you after you have recovered from your first attack.

Experts says that a sore throat that lasts for longer than a week is often caused by allergies, or exposure to humidity, smoking, irritation from heating and cooling systems.

Repeated pharyngitis can also happen seasonally or all year long most commonly due to allergies and in this case usually the allergic individual wake up early in the morning with sore throat.

A sore throat that doesn’t improve or repeated with a short period of time should be investigated properly. By complete history and proper examination your physician can evaluate the cause of this recurrent sore throat and recommend treatment.

Recurrent pharyngitis is the most frequent indication for tonsillectomy. The goals of surgery include amelioration of symptoms, avoidance of sick days and reduction of complications such as peritonsillar abscess, streptococcal cervical adenitis and the immunologic sequel of streptococcal infections.

Follow up with your doctor is essential.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright © 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.