doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: Painful lip infection

andy_pao - Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:17 pm

Hello. I accidentally bit the inside of my upper lip about a week ago, and it developed a white sore after a couple of days. I've tried applying dequalinium chloride solution on it but the sore seems to have worsened, then I tried orally taking Antibiotics for three days. Now on the 10th day since the accident, the sore is becoming more painful and doesn't seem to be improving. Even just a drink of water is agonizing. Is there anything you can recommend? Please help. Thanks.
stephanie0107 - Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:52 pm

Hello Friend,
I hope by now that your symptoms have improved. Due to the fact that it was initiated by trauma, you can pretty much rule out oral cancer. Cold sores (also may be referred to as canker sores or herpes simplex virus of the oral mucosa) should heal within 3-4 wks maximum. If not completely healed within this time frame, you will need to see your physician and have a biopsy (removal of small sample of tissue for analysis).
Based on your history, most likely you have a simple mouth ulcer, which can be a very painful white or yellow open sore that occurs anywhere on the mucous membrane of your mouth. If it developes into a cyst or unbearable swelling, go to your physician.
In the meantime, decrease smoking and alcohol intake, maintain oral hygiene as tolerated and Ibuprofen may help to alleviate swelling which will in turn decrease some of the discomfort. Be sure to avoid spicy foods and lean toward bland foods and neutral liquids (water, Gatorade, or 7-Up as tolerated). Also, consider over the counter lidocaine if available to you or something to that effect (ask the pharmacist or your dentist) if pain is unbearble. Much luck. LMK how you are doing.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.