doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Swallowing Problem - Urgent Advice Needed Please

Vegans - Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:32 am

My name is Mandy, I am from Australia, I am 21 years old and suffer from a severe swallowing problem that Drs here can't work out what is wrong.

The problem started when I was about 10 years old but it didnt really bother me however 5 years ago it came on really strong.

My problem is my throat can't tolerate any kinds of food when I swallow, bits of food such as bread crumbs etc get caught in my throat and stay there for hours and really choke me. I cant even drink orange juice or anything with pulp in it as even the pulp gets stuck in my throat for a long time and chokes me. Like ways with any sediment drinks/foods.

For the last 4 1/2 years I am living on jelly, custard and cream and am currently drinking 2/3 litres of soft drink daily to try and keep my weight on. I am very weak, have lost a lot of weight and have no muscle tone at all from not being able to move. I am housebound as I have no energy, I am really weak and I faint and always feel dizzy. I only weight about 45kg and my healthy weight range is meant to be 65kg

I have been "investaigated" by several ENT people as well as a Gastro and have had the following tests done - CT Scan, MRI, Barium Swallow, Endoscopy and all have proved to be normal. I also have seen Naturopaths/Homeopaths etc with no help, I even saw a Chiropractor, the last Dr I saw was a Neurologist, all he did was check my reflexes and told me I don't have a Neurological problem. Have been told it all 'in my head' and even went down the road of a Shrink and Hypnotherapist and once again no help. My condition is worsening everyday and I do need help.
I can understand that my problem is unusal, but for goodness sake I cant be the only one, there must be someone else out there suffering the same problem with a good outcome!!

Please can anyone help, any kind of information you can help me with would be greatly helpful, I am interested in looking for help overseas, travelling will be a problem for me as I am very ill but will do ANYTHING I can to get myself better.

I have reached the end, and if something isnt done soon to help me eat I will die as no one can live on the kinds of foods and drinks I am.

Please can you get back to me as soon as you can, as to whether or not you could help me or know someone who can.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.

My email is [email]vegans@dodo. com. au

Warm Regards
Mandy
Kim RN - Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:08 am

I don't know what exactly to tell you regarding your problem, as you seem to have had all the medical workups you can possibly have, and all have resulted as negative.

One thing I CAN tell you is that you need some dietary assistance immediately. A Registered Dietician can help you make food choices that will supply your body with the nutrients it needs. Subsisting on soft drinks and custard is not only unnecessary, but is also dangerous. Until you find the answer to your medical mystery, there are many calorie and protein-laden supplements on the market, as well as liquid vitamins, to help you meet your minimum daily requirements for vitamin and caloric intake. Please consult with a dietician. Your primary physician can refer you.

Good luck to you, and I hope you find a resolution to your problem.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.