doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Persisting sore throat x2months

NikkyLeClair - Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:47 pm

I developed an URI May 2nd all other symptoms have resolved, yet I continue to have a sore throat (I had a tonsillectomy 4 yrs ago). I was on Keflex for a sinus infection as well. My question is: Does this sound like it is related to the sinus infection? Does it sound related to allergies? I live in Maine and this is a big allergy season. I have never been diagnosed with allergies, but I constantly have nasal congestion. We had our roof leak about the same time all this began, and I am concerned mold/fugus got into the house. Anyway, any ideas?? I hate asking for help, but this is nonstop.

Thanks,
Nikky
Shannon Morgan, CMA - Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:57 pm

An irritated throat can definitely be caused from post nasal drip, frequently seen in allergies. Ask your doctor about taking a non-drowsy antihistamine, and something for your congestion as well.
10man - Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:27 am

my mother has had severe pain in her throat for over a year, she has seen several doctors, but they cant seem to find whats wrong. im very worried about her, she has lost about 80 pounds, due to not being able to eat much, the pain is really severe and I don't know what else to do, please help.
Shannon Morgan, CMA - Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:46 pm

Has she had a complete physical exam, chest Xray, blood tests? Her weight loss of 80 pounds is alarming and may not have anything to do with her sore throat. If she hasn't been fully examined in general, not just her throat, she needs to see a doctor immediately.
dskyxoxo - Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:00 pm

10MAN - How is your mother. Did she see a doctor for her sore throat. Most likely an ENT. Please post results as I'm experiencing an odd sore throat myself and docs can't seem to help. The best way to describe it is sunflower seeds shells stuck in my throat. Somewhat difficulty swallowing. Ear ache as well. I don't know what else to do. MRI came back normal. I'm getting a neck ultrasound next week. If that comes back normal, I'm going to have an Anxiety attack bececause I want to find out what's wrong with me. I don't feel normal anymore. I take 'anxiety' pills to get by the day. Recently my chest has be having a burning/tingling sensation. I'm on my way to see a new ENT next week. Hopefully he'll be able to help me. Any response would be appreciated. Otherwise, thank you for listening and I would really appreicate some prayer my way. Thank you!!
ypastorj - Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:47 pm

I have a disease called Kartageners Syndrome. Basically, the cilia in my lungs and sinuses do not move. Since a child, I have numerous sinus surgeries, (just recently two years ago), regular pulmonary problems and grew up going to Duke University being very much a guinea pig of sorts. As a child, the doctors found out my organs were reversed--a symptom of the disease.

Anyway, recently, I have found two small lumps in my neck. One is under my right jawbone and the other is right below the right of my adam's apple. The one under my jaw is about the same of a penny while the other near my adam's apple is the size of a pea. After complaining to my ENT, a tube was put in my right ear. That helped initially with the pressure I was feeling, but there was no explanation for the knots except they were residual infection from a cold or sinus infection. After weeks of antiobiotics, the knots have not gone away and I am left with a tube in my right ear and continuing pain/discomfort in the right side of neck and right ear. All the docs seems to do are provide Antibiotics, which don't seem to be doing anything. ALSO, after going to the doctor for a sore throat, I found out three years ago that my tonsils had somewhat grown back since having them taken out as a child. I feel like that is part of the problem. I have gotten infected tonsils twice since then I think they need to come out, but my ENT doesn't think so...

Any help you can provide this would be great! I've already put paperwork in to change ENTs b/c I'm so frustrated and need some solid answers!

Thanks!

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.