doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Horrible ear infection.

Jeuker - Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:23 am

Just recently I acquired an ear infection, and as of Wednesday I went into the local doctor to get it checked on. Here, they did clean out wax with a pick, and an ear irrigation, and then prescribed me Amoxicillan pills. Now this ear infection, seems to have only gotten worse. When I wake up, its pulsing, and has intense pain that I could never imagine. I can barely chew, and I am afraid of small hiccups that come at random during the day as it stings the ear. I have little to no hearing at all, and it seems swollen as the outside is very small space compared to the healthy ear, I'd be surprised if a Qtip could get into the ear easily. Now this has had me worried, as I've been looking all over the net for help and read about several ear problems, and am just curious as to wether or not these are normal symptoms in an ear infection. I think the only peace I get is after an hour of taking one 500mg Amoxicillan pill, and two 100mg tablets of Motrine. The rapid pulsing, and the warmness of the ear has bothered me the most, and the feeling of something trying to exert itself from the ear, even though theres nothing in it. I've even found it hard to sleep, and felt the pain during my sleep when I do manage to rest. So I again ask, is this normal?
Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:57 pm

Hi Jeuker,
Worsening ear pain, warmth, redness, swelling, despite treatment with Antibiotics is certainly not normal (not to mention the hearing loss). I would strongly urge you to go in for a re-evaluation.
Jeuker - Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:57 pm

Well, actually this morning I did go back in after calling about my symptoms. Turns out I have both a middle ear infection, AND an outter ear infection. I recieved drops today, so everything should start working out.
Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:03 pm

That's good to hear Jeuker that you went back for a re-evaluation! Get well soon and thank you for using www. doctorslounge. com

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.