Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Nutrition & Diet

Question: rapid weight loss

felix_grrrr - Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:09 pm

I've been vegan since mid march. I don't take vitamins, but I've been trying to eat as healthy as possable. I droped from 20 pounds in the last two months, and I lost 5 pounds since either yeasterday or the day before. I don't think this is healthy, but I don't really know.
Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:53 pm

It is not possible to lose 5 pounds of fat in 1-2 days. Most likely it is water. It's normal to fluctuate a couple of pounds or morel. Drink plenty of water to avoid that, it can greatly upset the balance of electrolytes wich are vital to heart, muscle and brain function. If it doesn't come back at least a couple of pounds, see a doctor. Rapid weight loss is very unhealthy, and a vegan diet is a great challenge to get enough protein and iron, not to mention the other vitamins and minerals. It would be a good idea to take a one a day multivitamin.
jenner - Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:51 am

Just keep in mind that 1lb fat = approximately 3, 500 Calories... so unless you have expended 17, 500 Calories MORE than you've consumed in the 2 days, it is most likely fluid shift...

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.