The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: 25, no pre-med, med school in Egypt?

mikeron9 - Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:10 pm

To anyone who can provide good advice:

I am 25 and have considered going into medicine, but my undergrad was in International Relations. I have experience living abroad, but would it be possible to start medical studies in Egypt (pre-med included....meaning everything).

I would like to be able to practice in countries where doctors are scarce and basic medical training is an asset (I know there is a large list of countries that fit this description). Also, any ideas on what are needed areas to specialize in?

Any and all advice would be much appreciated. Please be honest with all answers (pros/cons).

Thank you/Shukran,

Mike
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:14 pm

Hi Mike,
I am not aware of the particular requirements for foreign medical students wishing to study in Egypt. However, Egypt is not a country where doctors are scarce. To be honest medical education in Egypt is better than some countries in the region but still falls way short of the kind of education you would expect to have in the US.