Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Gag reflex has gone crazy all of a sudden o_O

VLizbethV - Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:17 pm

Hi! I was hoping you could help me :-)
I just returned from a happy vacation, however happy it was very stressful on me. Since this past Thursday June 30th, I have been waking up with a very very strong gag reflex unexplicably! It wanes off and on during the day. At 7-9pm it disappears and I am my "old self" again.
The mere thought of food also makes me want to gag. I have not gotten sick so far and have managed to stop the gag reflex with every ounce of willpower. However this is no life for me and my quality of life has gone to 0.
Could it be nerves? What is causing my overactive gagging reflex in the mornings, and when I think about eating/food. ((I ate like a horse until Thursday)).
Also, my stomache itself feels hungry and even rumbles, and I almost always feel hungry right after I eat... perhaps its just acid 'warming up' my stomache making me think I feel hungry?
ANY suggestions would be great!!
Thank you!!
Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:52 am

Hi VLizbethV,
Stress or stressful situations tha cause increased Anxiety may produce a number of symptoms including difficulty swallowing or a "gagging" reflex. However, esophageal disorders, hiatal hernias, GERD, etc., may produce these symptoms as well. I would suggest an evaluation by your physician to identify the causative factor.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.