doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: sore throat

design - Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:40 pm

I am trying to figure out what is wrong with me concerning my throat and nose...about a month and a half ago I got sick from stress during a big move and have never really recovered. I pretty much have had a nose drip and phlem ever sence then. I have phisically felt fine most of the time though. about a week ago I got a sore throat then a Lymph node under my chin blew up pretty big, and within 36 hours was back down to normal size and my sore throat was gone. Now, starting yesterday afternoon, my sore throat is back...no Lymph node flare up as of yet though. I am not a smoker and am a reguler 20 mile a week runner, even during this past month...so none of this has really slowed me down...just starting to kinda worry me due to the fact my phlemy throat and nose have not gone away :? . Anything over the counter that may help...or is a doctor visit in order? I have never really had allergies to speak of as well...but maybe I do in Michigan and not in Georgia...

Thanks...
Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:09 am

Dear design,

Most cases of sore throat are due to viral infection e. g. as part of flu and cold attack. Bacterial infections on the other hand represent a smaller number of cases. Usually there are other associated symptoms and signs that can point to the possible causative agent.

Viral induced sore throat usually subsides in week with rest and plenty fluid intake. Bacterial infections (group A streptococci is the commonest) causing sore throat need to be treated with Antibiotics.
Infectious Mononucleosis is a type of virus EBV induced sore throat that lead to recurrent sore throat with swollen tonsils and Lymph nodes in addition to other specific symptoms and signs. Streptococcal pharyngitis and EBV infection are usually difficult to be differentiated.

Experts says that a sore throat that lasts for longer than a week is often caused by allergies, or exposure to humidity, smoking, irritation from heating and cooling systems.

If you suffer from recurring sore throats, it's also possible that your toothbrush needs to be changed as it may transmit the infection for you after you have recovered from your first attack.

Post nasal discharge and chronic sinusitis are other causes for recurrent sore throat due to irritation by the discharge.

Repeated pharyngitis can also happen seasonally or all year long most commonly due to allergies and in this case usually the allergic individual wake up early in the morning with sore throat.

A sore throat that doesn’t improve or repeated with a short period of time should be investigated properly. By complete history and proper examination your physician can evaluate the cause of this recurrent sore throat and recommend treatment.

Recurrent pharyngitis is the most frequent indication for tonsillectomy.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright © 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.