Powered by

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Forum Archives

Primary Care

Other Sections

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: lost voice and worse!

speechless - Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:39 am

I started losing my voice this past Sunday, and now it's completely gone, but that's not my biggest concern.

This morning when I woke up I couphed, and actually couphed up this horrible stuff. It was like a turquoise/more towards green colour, but it was a paste-like substance, rather than the usual slimey kind of phlem people normally couph up. It scared the cr@p out of me, and I wondered if anyone had heard of this before? The bit that came out was probably about an inch long, and looked a bit like someone had squirted an inch of toothpaste on my hand (where it landed). (Sorry to gross everyone out!!)

I do smoke, but have never really suffered any breathing/couphing synmptoms due to my smoking. I'm not in denial here, if this sounds like something serious due to that I need to know.

I also sprayed a can of flea killer in a hurry on Saturday, and didn't bother wearing any PPE over my mouth. Could this have done this???

Any help would be appreciated!
Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:51 pm

Dear speechless,

You have to request an ENT consultation (Ear, Nose and throat) have a look at your vocal cords and determine what's the cause of your voice being lost.

Then they definately should do a sputum culture and senstivity + Cytology for as soon as possible to properly diagnose your condition.

Don't delay that! I cannot start giving you theories without proven laboratory work up.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.