doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: high school student

tgr1scr17 - Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:11 am

im interested in oncology. I was just wondering what classes I would need to take in college to help me have a better chance to get into med school and what would help me the most in the oncology field.
happylouyear - Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:21 am

Hią
I am a 4th year medical student.
The most important thing for you if you want to explore your interest in oncology is to get into medicine in the first place.
To get into medicine, you need high grades, involvement in your community and a well-balanced personnality (I. e. other interests).
As for oncology, you will be able to specialize in that field after premed, 4 years of medicine, 3 years of internal medicine and then you will do a fellowship in oncology.
In short, you will have a lot of time to learn about this field, so I suggest you take any classes that you are interested in for now. What might relate to oncology include immunology as it relates to cancer treatments.
gstep - Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:55 pm

The most important High School subjects for any type of Medical Profession, is all the various Science's and Math. Most students hate these classes and will always ask "when will we ever use this stuff". In the Medical field you will use "this stuff" daily. If you don't learn it now you will have to take and pass these classes before you even start the college level Science's and Math. Good Luck!

Gina
med-geek - Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:48 am

[quote="gstep"]Most students hate these classes and will always ask "when will we ever use this stuff". In the Medical field you will use "this stuff" daily.

Gina[/quote]

Do the necessary classes include Calculus (Math 31). It is a university level course offered in high school. I'm doing alright in it but I want to know if I will need it in the medical field. Does anyone know if it is used?

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright © 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.