doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Coughing up weird things

scottnshelly - Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:49 am

I have a weird question. Over the past couple years Iíve occasionally coughed up these little things. I donít know what they are; they remind me of crushed peanuts. They are the same shape, color and size, but they are not the same texture. When you squeeze them, they smear instead of crumble. I usually get one or two a week, mostly in the mornings. This has never really bothered me as itís happened for so long and it doesnít seem to hurt me.
Also, occasionally I have really bad breath. I mean bad enough to make riding in a car with me a horrible experience. I can never explain it though, because I have good dental hygiene and everything.
This morning, right after I finished brushing my teeth, I coughed up one of those little things Ė this one was a little larger than normal. I hadnít eaten anything smelly and just brushed, so I had good breath. I noticed when I was examining the little thing I just coughed up that I smelled that infamous bad breath smell. Now I think the occasion bad breath and the little things might be related.
Any ideas what this could be?
Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:04 am

Hi scottnshelly,
Chronic lung infections as well as sinusitis may cause odorous sputum production. If dental hygiene is not an issue, I would suggest an evaluation by your physician to identify the causative factor.
MissRed - Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:29 am

I know this post is really old but as he was discribing his issue I knew EXACTLY what he was talking about. I have had this same problem for 10 or so years. Through out the years I have figured out more about what is going on. The "crushed peanut" like stuff is pus from the tonsil(s) this pus smells VERY fowl, and when the pus builds up [in] my tonsil or both sometimes my breath is terrible. My throat feels smaller, I have a hard time swallowing. This started when I was young, I used to call the pus "brains" because that is what they usually look like. I bought a water pick a few years ago after making my tonsils blead from trying to dig the pus out with a folded out bobbipin, I thought if I stuck the water pick in the hole where the pus comes out it would be easier that digging. It has now gotten to the point where I think the holes have grown becasue I can now get alot of it out by pushing around the tonsil with my finger. I am so sick of this, will an ENT doctor remove my tonsils if ask and tell him what I just posted??
Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:51 pm

Hi MissRed,
I would strongly advise you to have an evaluation by an ENT specialist. Please do not continue to pick or dig as this will cause additional complications. If a referral is required to see this specialist contact your physicians office and request that this be provided.
Lizzer - Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:06 pm

I have a similar problem as the previous posts about the wierd things being coughed up. I am a healthy 21 year old female and off and on for the past 10 or 11 years I Cough up these small yellowish things that look like curdles of cottage cheese and they smell foul. They are joined by a smell that only I can smell. I can only describe it as smelling like rotten cabbage. No one else can smell it but me. The smell makes me gag most of the time and I lose my appetite. It doesn't occur costantly, but it is rather annoying when it does. Does this sound like a serious issue or is there nothing I can do about it? Thank you so much for your time.

-Lizzer
casta - Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:46 pm

I think you'll find these things are called Tonsiloliths or Tonsil stones, visit a good ENT specialist.

More info on wikipedia and numerous forums can be found on the net.
lonely-loner - Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:05 am

My big brother also had a similar problem after he started smoking.
I often see peanut colored slimy stuff in the sink whenever he not washing it. It smelt bad and very disturbance. I wonder if this is related to smoking because it happens to alot of smokers I seen. It could be throat infection. (hopefuly my information helps)

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright © 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.