Powered by


                    Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Health Questions

   News via RSS






   Forum Archives






















   Primary Care






   Other Sections


   Research Tools

   Medical Tutorials

   Medical Software




The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Primary Care Answers List

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Ringing ears and nose block

karen78 - Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:20 pm

Hi there,

I am always having ringing in the both ears. And unable to listen clearly for a while. It will be gone in few second. Sometimes, when I do not have ringing in my ears, the sound which come from very near distance can make me hear as it was very far from me. Recently, I always have this ringing in the ears compared with last time. And I feel that my hearing is a bit worst. I do not know wat's the matter. :(

My nose always block when each time I wake up in the morning. It will be ok later, ie 30 minutes later. Is there anything wrong with my nose?

Please advise.

md_2oo4 - Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:41 am

Hello Karen78,

From what you have posted, the ringing may be secondary to your congested nose and (most likely you may be having frequent attacks of allergic rhinitis. Because of this attacks, secretions coming from your nasopharynx may go into your eustachian tubes (tubes interconnecting your ears and pahrygeal areas) or when you sneeze or blow your nose, pressures within may alter, sometimes you may hear popping sound within your ears aside from ringing sensation. Ringing may also occur as one ages (particularly in the elderly age group - but the cause of this is entirely different from your case).

For your condition though, you may take OTC oral decongestants particularly those medications containing phenylpropanolamine HCL and Chlorpheniramine maleate 3x a day for 5 days. If you have any allergic reaction to these medications it is advisable that you see your ENT doctor first.

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

send to a friend

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

Doctors Lounge Membership Application




We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.