doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Nutrition & Diet

Question: I need help

swimgirl222 - Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:25 pm

I am an 18 year old female and I just started college and I have already started gaining weight even though ive been eating healthier then I used to and I walk a ton and have been swimming about 2-3 times a week. I am 5'9 and weigh 145lb... but I want to lose weight. how should I go about this? I want to do it in a safe healthy way but fast if possible haha so I was just wondering what else I should be doing because I don't understand why im gaining weight. I was also wondering what a good weight for a 5'9 18 year old female is and what percent body fat I should be. thanks for your help!
MissNurseM - Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:23 pm

Based on the numbers you gave me, your BMI (body mass index) is 21. 4. Based on the scale, you fall within a healthy normal weight. The actual # is 142 according to the chart. You are 145 - thats very close to perfect & should be happy with these numbers!!!

If you are looking to TONE there are lots of different methods we can discuss.

Best of Luck :)
swimgirl222 - Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:06 am

Thank you for the information! I weighed myself yesturday (145lb. wasnt quite accurate because I couldnt find a good scale) and I weigh 151lb. does this change anything? ive started going to the gym everyday and doing cardio for 30min and some weights and I started playing water polo twice a week. am I doing enough? I would like to be more toned what are some good exercises to tone my stomach?
MissNurseM - Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:39 pm

The difference in a few pounds doesnt really change anything much, it brings you to 22. 3. That is still within normal limits:

BMI Categories:
Underweight = <18. 5
Normal weight = 18. 5-24. 9
Overweight = 25-29. 9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

I wouldnt take numbers that seriously. Now that you have started working out - you might even have a weight INCREASE. This is because muscle weights more than fat & when you start building muscle, you are going to read higher on the scale even though your body structure is changing. So thats the 1st step -stop reading the scale.

The activities that you are doing are GREAT :) The best thing for for weight loss, toning & conditioning is CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO. When you get to the gym 1st thing is get pumped up w/cardio. This can be some treadmill, a bike, stepper..whatever you prefer. Then you hit the circut (or go w/the big boys to the machines -but be careful on any machine that you use that you know proper technique). Every day you should focus on "something". So make yourself a schedule...today I'm working legs, tomorrow I'm working arms, next chest, next back..etc...(taking breaks here & there because overtraining will not help you - it will hinder & could hurt you too). This will train your body to know ooh, its Thursday, my body is supposed to be doing this today.
After you are done w/your workout, go back to cardio. If you can get a good 30mins or so on the treadmill as a big finish...you have really done a good workout.

Make sure you drink a lot of water all the time - not just when working out. Water is essential!!! You don't really need to calorie count - just watch what your putting in your body. More protein the better & don't cut your carbs out. A lot of people do away w/carbs all together. This is bad for you. You need carbs!! Just watch the amounts you are putting in you.

All these things together, eventually you will see results. It takes some time before you notice it, but one day your going to start feeling your jeans fit just a little different & you will know you are being successful.

Best of Luck :)
JenAni - Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:14 am

Okay, so I am your average teenage female trying to lose about.. 10 pounds. I am 5'3" and I weight around 135. Is there a quick sort of pill or something I can take, because I work alot and go to school so I don't have time for exercise, I do yoga twice a week.
leamea - Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:34 pm

I am not a doctor, but my impression is that it is really next to impossible to maintain a healthy weight or lifestyle without physical activity. You may have more time that you think you have. Cardio workouts can be purchased on dvd or video, or taped from TV and done at home at your convenience. I also have the impression that mini workouts, small amounts of time exercising, even 10 minutes at a time, are better than none at all.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.