doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: tired

Jenniec - Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:13 am

Right now I am taking some Med classes. Our program is quite rigorous, and we donít get a lot of time off, furthermore I have a job 4am-7am (part time). In between the hospital clinical and studying I havenít been able to get a lot of sleep and am having a hard time trying to get through school. I get ill but I canít just stop because falling behind really isnít an option. Yet, its kind of sad when Iím in a clinical and I start feeling faint and have to sit down because I havenít gotten enough sleep or couldnít get time off yet to eat. What would you suggest that I do to do well in my classes, go to all my clinics, work and still be healthy?
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:38 am

I personally think your trying to accomplish the impossible. The job may have to go. Did you try finding a job on campus. Some universities have student programs designed to support students by giving them work to do on campus.

Good luck!
Jenniec - Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:59 am

Thanks for your suggestion. I think I will be quitting my job soon, do you think there are other jobs that would work with med classes? Or do you think that a loan would be a better idea?
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:19 am

I'm glad that your considering dropping the job. With campus jobs its just a matter of timing. If its not compatible with your program then it won't work. Eitherwise if it is compatible then anything would do fine. It doesn't matter what the nature is. Maybe you can try discussing an alternative with them.

Otherwise you may try looking for a job outside campus. If you are really lucky you can get a job assisting a doctor in his private clinic. While you ofcourse will not be elegible to prescribe medication or examine patients, there are lots of other things you can assist with especially in a busy clinic. If given the choice I would choose a specialty I am interested in or if I haven't made my mind up yet then something really general e. g. Internal medicine, a family doctor (general practitioner) to give one a broad perspective about medicine in general. It will be very informative and they usually pay well too :wink:

I personally don't like loans, especially ones I am not sure I will be able to pay. But that's just me.

Good luck and always keep a positive attitude during these hard times!
Jenniec - Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:08 am

Quick question: How much sleep is enough? to go to school, and function?
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:23 am

Ideally it would be 8 hours. Some need less (6 1/2 hours) while some may need more (9 hours). The important question to ask yourself is "Do I wake up feeling refreshed and energetic?". If the answer is no then you are probably sleeping too little.
Jenniec - Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:25 am

Thanks, and FYI I did drop my job

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright © 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.