doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Help! Lump feeling in throat for over 3 months!

stelmate - Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:09 pm

I am a 23 year old male, I've had no past history of medical problems but recently (or not so recently, about 3 months ago) I developed a lump feeling in my throat. I went to see a doctor twice and they really didn't do anything for me, gave me some Antibiotics for strep-throat and than the second time just told me to take some motrin. I did both and I still have that lump feeling. Here are some details that may ring a bell to someone that may have seen or heard of something similar.
1. I'm a smoker, less than a pack a day and a light drinker (3-4 beers a week)
2. College student so I don't get much sleep and I do snore at night (dry throat)
3. I do have a small amount of drainage in my throat with yellow mucus.
4. My lympth nodes are not swollen and I rarely have a "sore throat"
5. The lump feel almost feels like someone is "squeezing" the top of my throat (right below the tonsals) but it is not hard to swallow, I do choke alot due to the lump feeling but usually don't Cough up and mucus, maybe 40% of the time I Cough do I Cough up any mucus.

What I have tried:
Loranadine for allergies, Ranadine for possible acid reflux, taking honey at night to ease my throat, motrin, Antibiotics

If there is are any other suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it, I'd go see another docter but the last time I went she accused me of making it up since she couldn't find the problem and than took $300 from me. So after losing $300 and being called a liar I'm going back the doctor for awhile.
mom3kids98 - Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:54 pm

Hi, I also have the lump, tight feeling in throat. Also, I have a heart condition, nothing serious, (afib and pvcs) mainly bothersome. But I also hava a feeling of a take your breath feeling in my throat sometimes. I don't know if it is all connected but I do have that lump/tightness in my throat. I wonder if it could be Anxiety or something. It is almost as if someone is squeezing your throat and you might pop! It is weird . Just wondering . It about drives me crazy. I hate it! :x What do you think? Joy[/b]
aparrigirl - Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:30 pm

I used to feel the described "lump" feeling in my throat. It almost felt like I had on a turtleneck or necklace that was too tight, or as if someone was applying pressure to the base of my throat. It didn't affect my breathing, but was really an uncomfortable feeling lasting 6-8 hours. I had had thyroid surgery in the past, and at first thought that perhaps my thyroid medication needed to be adjusted (overdosage had caused "lump" feeling in the past) When it was determined that my medication was in fact correct....I experimented with several different remedies. By a chance conversation with a relative, I discovered that an allergy to NSAID's (ibuprofen, aleve, excedrin etc...) ran in the family. The allergic reactions ranged from severe swelling of the throat and eyes, to mild "lump" feelings in the throat. The reactions seemed to last as long as the medication was still working in the person's system. After learning this, I discontinued use of all over the counter pain medications (except for Tylenol) and have not had the feeling since. I hope that my experience and remedy might be helpful.
So_Danca - Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:27 pm

I know exactly what you mean. I feel like I've had a lump in my throat for over 3 months now. If feels as if there is a lump sitting in my throat, and, at times, like someone is squeezing my throat or there is a spasm there. I've been to countless physicians, from ENTs to GI doctors, and they can't figure out what it is. From doing my own research, and talking to a slew of doctors, I've learned that symptoms like to ones we are all experiencing can be explained by the following:

1. Gatroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Stelmate, you've already mentioned trying remedies for this, as I have, without success. But Joy, have you investigated this avenue? My ENT and GI doctors both mentioned that that lump-in-the-throat feeling, called a "globus sensation," is a common symptom of GERD. It is possible to have GERD, even though you've never experienced Heartburn. GERD treatments did not work in my case, but it may explain your symptoms. Ask your ENT.

2. Post-nasal drip. Apparently, this is very common after a cold, and among smokers. I always thought that a PND mean that you actually feel something "dripping" in the back of your throat, but that's not always the case. Medication like Flonase can usually help with a PND. Again, I did not have a PND, but it's worth investigating with your doctors.

3. Cricopharyngeal spasm. This is a spasm of the cricopharyngeus muscle, which sits just below your Adam's apple inside your throat. Not many doctors know about cricopharyngeal spasms, and no one really knows what's causes the condition. There's no cure, but apparently, it goes away on its own after a few weeks or months. You can find an extremely informative article about it here:
http://www. voicedoctor. net/therapy/cps. html

I think that this may be what I have, since the doctors have pretty much ruled everything else out. Hopefully, you guys can find doctors that are open to discussing all of your symptoms and really investigate a cure. Don't let them be too hasty to write your symptoms off as Anxiety-related just because they are not easily explained.

Good luck!

stelmate wrote:
I am a 23 year old male, I've had no past history of medical problems but recently (or not so recently, about 3 months ago) I developed a lump feeling in my throat...
I do have a small amount of drainage in my throat with yellow mucus...
The lump feel almost feels like someone is "squeezing" the top of my throat (right below the tonsals) but it is not hard to swallow.

mom3kids98 wrote:
Hi, I also have the lump, tight feeling in throat ... But I also hava a feeling of a take your breath feeling in my throat sometimes. I don't know if it is all connected but I do have that lump/tightness in my throat. I wonder if it could be Anxiety or something. It is almost as if someone is squeezing your throat and you might pop! It is weird . Just wondering . It about drives me crazy. I hate it! :x What do you think? Joy[/b]

rjshprabhakar - Sun May 28, 2006 2:13 pm

Hi Stelmate,
There are varios causes of lump in the throat feeling
1. Allergic conditions;Allergic pharyngitis can lead to a feeling of lump in the throat.
2Iinfective causes;Infection of the upper aero-digestive tract can lead to a feelingof lump.
3. Gastro oesophageal reflux disease.
4. Globus pharyngeus or Globus Hystericus. Here the patient has a feeling of foreign body in the throat which is more of a psychosomatic cause where we give anxiolytics ,antacids, and psychotherapy. Sometimes Barium meal study of the oesophagus is done and if the need be oesophagoscopy is done.
5Mouth breathing can lead to early morning feeling of raw throat.
Since you are a mouth breather get investigated for the cause of mouth breathing. The post nasal drip you have suggests an infection in the paranasal sinuses. Get an X-Ray of the paranasal sinuses. Go to a good ENT surgeon.
Sincerely
Dr Rajesh Prabhakar

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.