doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Home

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Sore throat/lump feeling on the left hand side, PLEASE help!

sthroat - Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:07 am

I think I posted in the wrong forum before - so apologies if this appears somewhere else...

I developed sore throat on the left hand side about 2 months ago after a cold. The pain is only there when I swallow - also a feeling of something stuck inside, as well as dry tongue and mouth. My Lymph nodes were a little swollen, now the swelling has gone down and there is no apparent lump anywhere. I've seen the doctor who couldn't find anything (after 2 rounds of Antibiotics, a throat culture which is clear and a blood test which is also clear), and an ENT specialist who looked down my throat briefly with a mirror but also couldn't find anything. I'm getting desperate as the feeling is nearly always there and there seems to be no reason for it (no reflux, no stress, etc). I'm 38 and used to smoke occasionally (2-3 a day for a few years) and a glass/two of wine with meals. My grandmother died of a cancer of the esophagus in her 80's so I'm terrified I've something nasty. Please help, this is making my life miserable and noone is able to offer any advice or help (other than to gargle and to drink warm liquids and wait for it to go away eventually).
sthroat - Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:15 am

that my throat is a bit red on the left side and my tonsils were removed about 20 years ago. The lump I feel is in the upper part of the neck but is not felt externally and the irritation extends throughout the left side of the throat when I swallow.
Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:45 am

Hi sthroat,
Has there been any mention of any diagnostic studies, for example, a barium swallow, EGD? If there has not been, at the very least I would suggest that you inquire with your physician about these studies to identify if any undetected abnormalities are present.
Theresa Jones RN
helpmeplease - Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:49 pm

Hiya,
My mum has the symptons of a cold, but only a sore throat. She has a lump, which I think is a throat ulcer, at the back of her throat and she has discomfort when she swallows and she feels she cannot eat any food without having pain. Any idea of how to treat it? Help me
Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:17 am

Hi helpmeplease,
If she has what appears to be an ulcer in her throat and is experiencing the significant pain that you describe, she needs an evaluation by a physician as a course of Antibiotics may be required. Also, gargles with warm salt water (approximately 4 oz. of water and a teaspoon of salt) may also help decrease the discomfort (She needs an evaluation prior to using this and the consent of her physician).
Princess_Lisa - Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:35 pm

Hi im 19 years old and I couldnt find the right place to post so I posted here because its a similar problem. I have had a cold on and off for about 3 weeks, and after I got over the first cold I got a sore throat on the right hand side I have been taking Ibrupofen tablets since last week and although it was painful at first but now the pain has dulled down considerably, it is only uncomfortable now when I laugh alot or when the weather is really cold, I have a feeling the pain is on the way out but I would like to know what you think this could have been for future reference and how to treat the remaining uncomfortableness I have stopped taking the tablets over the past few days I have just taken one tablet today.
Princess_Lisa - Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:37 pm

I forgot to mention that I'm female, a dancer and singer, my singing isn't really affected by this but I have a singing exam after Christmas and want to have no problems at all by January. My mother suffers from Sjrogens (sp?) syndrome and she gets swollen glands and painful throats quite alot. I have not been to the doctors yet as the pain has not been severe.
Dr. Tino Anthony Solomon - Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:36 pm

Hello there,

Based on your age and description of your symptoms, it sounds like you have developed an inflammation of the pharynx or tonsils (pharyngitis or tonsillitis) secondary to an infection. This can be caused by either bacteria or viruses and sometimes both, to add confusion to the matter. Bacterial infections are usually but not exclusively due to Streptococcus microbes of the 'Group A' type. Viral infections in your age group can often be attributed to Epstein Barr Virus and when this is the case, it is referred to as Glandular Fever. Whilst bacterial infections can be treated successfully with Antibiotics, if a virus is the causative factor then you would find no improvement until your own body recovers. Fortunately, help is available with diagnostic tests in the form of throat swabs and blood antibody tests for viruses. In the case of the Epstein Barr virus, this would be the monospot test. As the appearance of the throat can be similar in bacterial and viral infections, laboratory testing is the definitive way to establish the cause. I do not think at this moment that your motherís condition is related to yours although autoimmune conditions, such as Sjorgens syndrome, can run in families. I suggest you visit your family doctor to examine your throat and take swabs before treatment can be considered. Your doctor may also suggest an Anti-inflammatory gargle which helps to relieve the pain and discomfort. I would hold off the singing until your symptoms have settled as your voice box may be mildly inflamed as well and you may not perform to your best ability.

Kind regards,

Dr Tino Solomon
BSc(Hons) MBBS
Senior House Officer in Surgery

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright © 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.