Back to Drug index
Name: Fat emulsion
Pregnancy Category C
A preparation from soybean or safflower oil that provides neutral
triglycerides, mostly unsaturated fatty acids; these are used as a
of energy, causing an increase in heat production, decrease in
respiratory quotient, and increase in oxygen consumption.
- Source of calories and essential fatty acids for patients requiring
parental nutrition for extended periods
- Source of essential fatty acids when a deficiency occurs
- Contraindicated in the presence of disturbance of normal fat
(hyperlipemia, lipoid nephrosis, acute pancreatitis), allergy to eggs.
- Use caution in the presence of severe liver damage, pulmonary disease,
anemia, blood coagulation disorders, pregnancy, jaundiced or premature
Are you a doctor or a nurse?
Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?
Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and
give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.
Click on the link below to see the requirements:
Doctors Lounge Membership
- CNS: Headache, flushing, fever, sweating, sleepiness, pressure over
GI: Nausea, vomiting
- Hematologic: Thrombophlebitis, sepsis, hyperlipemia,
thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, elevated liver enzymes
- Other: Irritation at infusion site, brown pigmentation in RES (IV fat