Question: My mind keeps telling me there's something wrong with me.

tekra - Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:28 am

I want to know why I have to tell myself everytime I have a certain pain or discomfort that I have a specific disease. I always wind up getting more sick by doing this. I recently had a liver scan because they saw a shade on my liver and I was sick until I found out that it was OK but then the doctor tells me I have a slightly enlarged Spleen and they need to do another scan and I am thinking of the worse thing again especially since I have low back pain and some joint pain and it causes me to get anxious and I seem to get more symptoms. My blood work was normal but I still keep telling myself there is something wrong because of my symptoms that come and go. I also have bad reflux.
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:59 pm

User avatar The mind can be a very tricky thing. You can convince yoru self that you are sick, and then actually get sick. On the other end, if you are sick, you can convince yourself you are well, and begin to feel better, although this can never replace seeing a doctor.

Hypochondriasis (Alternate Names : Hypochondria) is an abnormal fear of having a serious medical condition. This concern persists even though medical exams rule out any actual illness.

People who have this condition feel very anxious. They suffer from physical symptoms even though there is no physical illness present. Individuals with this condition continue to believe they are seriously ill even when the healthcare provider tells them they are well.

A supportive relationship with a health care provider is the mainstay of treatment. There should be one primary provider to avoid unnecessary diagnostic tests and procedures.

The health care provider should inform the person that no organic disease is present, but that continued medical follow-up will help control the symptoms. The person with hypochondria feels real distress, so the symptoms should not be denied or challenged by others.
 tekra - Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:34 pm

Thank you for your response. I never thought about that. It is sure weird how you could have a chest pain and think your having a heart attack or a funny mole and think you have skin cancer or pain in the back and think you have bone cancer and so on. It weighs heavy on my mind. I guess I should see a mental health specialist if this is the way to go. All I want to do is feel better and try to enjoy going out again without worrying if I am going to have a symptom that causes me to want to go to the hospital or home.

Thanks for any support with this.

|