News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Lithium toxicity

persevierant1 - Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:22 am

My sister was on lithium for over a year without EVER being tested for her lithium levels. She ended up in the hospital with high lithium levels following a blackout she'd had. The physicians proclaimed it as a "suicide attempt due to lithium overdose". I was with her the day she was admitted and also had her medications in my possession. I tried to reason with the doctors that her prescription bottle had the correct amount of pills in the container and that nothing was wrong with her prior to the blackout spell, but they still diagnosed her with a suicide attempt. This resulted in her losing custody of her children in her divorce and since is unable to get them back. My sister is a terrific mother. How can she/we prove that the hospital was wrong about the lithium levels being self induced? How can you prove Lithium toxicity is not a suicide attempt?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:02 am

User avatar Dear persevierant1,
I think you need to discuss this with a lawyer. If no levels at all were requested then you could address this issue with your lawyer.
Currently, the American Psychiatric Association has the following to say about lithium monitoring.

"The clinical status of patients receiving lithium needs to be monitored especially closely. The frequency of monitoring depends on the individual patient's clinical situation but generally should be no less than every 6 months for stable patients. The optimal frequency of serum level monitoring in an individual patient depends on the stability of lithium levels over time for that patient and the degree to which the patient can be relied upon to notice and report symptoms."

You can find this is stated on their website.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here