News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Is this abuse?

lalarisso - Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:23 am

My husband who I've known for 6 years, married for 1 year gets in a mood every few months where he is cruel verbally, and will do things to purposely make me very upset. He will say a word or comment and repeat it loudly over and over and over until I can't take it anymore and I lose it I throw something at him or hit him, I'm not very big and I don't hurt him and I am not a violent person, never have been. He then feels it's justified that he hit and throw me around. He says it shouldn't bother me, but knowing that it does bother me, why would he even start? This isn't for a few minutes it can go on for a good hour. I don't understand why he does it. He will act like this for a day or two and then everything is ok as far as he is concerned. while I am trying to remember why I married him, this alter ego is not my husband. But it killing my love. please help me. He tells I need help for my violent behavior. do I ?
 northerngirl - Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:17 am

Hi lalarisso<

I am not a psychiatrist, but I know for certain that violence in never acceptable. There is no way for your husband to justify being violent. You should definitely try to control your reactions to his provocations, but he is obviously trying to irritate you in an effort to justify his own violent actions. Again, I am not a medical professional...best I can do is advise you that this behavior pattern is not healthy and he needs some help. It is not good for your self esteem to stay in an abusive situation either.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here