Question: crack cocaine induced psychosis

lilysuzanne - Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:20 pm

It happened five years ago to me, since then I have been clean and sober. Every once in awhile I get a very weird feeling from drinking coffee like my thoughts are racing and I want to rock. I'm aware of it and can't stop it from happening.It's more physical than mental. Did I damage my brain?My eyes feel funny and I feel drunk for the rest of day when this happens once or twice a month.It's beyond the normal caffein buzz.
 carolannah - Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:43 pm

Hello lilysuzanne,

First of all I would like to congratulate you on your success at sustaining your recovery.

What I hear you saying is you experienced a psychotic episode as a result of your use of crack cocaine and now you are experiencing racing thoughts you believe may be related to your caffeine intake.

As I am sure you know, caffeine is a stimulant. It can become habit forming as it can disrupt proper sleep and leave one feeling anxious for that first cup of coffee in the morning to get them rolling again. Adequate sleep is vital to mental health.

If you have had previous psychiatric intervention I would encourage you to discuss your racing thoughts with your physician or psychiatrist. You also might consider decreasing your caffeine intake, or eliminating its use altogether.

All my best,

carolannah
 lilysuzanne - Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:44 pm

Thank you so much for your reply and congrats.(smile) It's been a month since I posted and am much better. You are right about sleep, as it doesn't happen at all when I get enough. Also, I had some abuse issues I was dealing with from my past and was under bad stress. As I work through them, I haven't been getting like that.Don't want to take psychiatric drugs , I'm afraid it will trigger drug use.I was just worried I would be like that forever.Thank you> I hear Puget Sound is beautiful.
 carolannah - Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:56 pm

Hello again lilysuzanne,

Thanks for the instant update. Sounds like you have quite a bit of insight regarding what makes you tick. This is a very positive attribute which will certainly enhance your ability to cope with and overcome whatever hardships life may bring your way. Nice to have met you and Good Luck!

carolannah

|