Question: an unusual problem, maybe....

mbyrne - Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:00 am

Hi Guys....
i've been dating a psychiatrist for over a year. Aprox 4 months ago her father died. she did not have a very good relationship with him, and is not taking it to well. I tried to help her out by being with her etc, but she just seemed to be not herself. I told her a number of times she should maybe consider treatment. she kept saying she is not having an abnormal reaction and that she can treat herself. Anyway, as time went on, she kept fighting with me, getting aggressive sometimes and saying some very hurtfull things. I had to walk away. We agreed to be friends, but then a week or so later, she told me never to call her again. This is very unlike her. It feels like she is taking all her anger over her guilt out on me.

So, I think she needs help, is there anything i can do? i could email her with suggstions, but i'd like to know if anybodu can explain to me what is going on inside her head, cos she definately is not ok....

thanks
 sdfirenze - Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:04 pm

It is obviously very difficult to determine what is going inside of her head. People respond to grief in a variety of ways, some healthy, some unhealthy. It is possible that the father's death made her re-evaluate some things in her life. Hard to tell. One thing that is certain is that psychologists should NEVER "treat" themselves. Frankly, our profession is notoriously bad at self-analysis. If her bereavement is severe, she should seek some consulatation. Typically, it is expected that normal bereavement can last up to 6 months. If the individual is still suffering a depleted quality of life after 6 months, then treatment may be in order.

|