News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: an unusual problem, maybe....

mbyrne - Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:00 am

Hi Guys....
i've been dating a psychiatrist for over a year. Aprox 4 months ago her father died. she did not have a very good relationship with him, and is not taking it to well. I tried to help her out by being with her etc, but she just seemed to be not herself. I told her a number of times she should maybe consider treatment. she kept saying she is not having an abnormal reaction and that she can treat herself. Anyway, as time went on, she kept fighting with me, getting aggressive sometimes and saying some very hurtfull things. I had to walk away. We agreed to be friends, but then a week or so later, she told me never to call her again. This is very unlike her. It feels like she is taking all her anger over her guilt out on me.

So, I think she needs help, is there anything i can do? i could email her with suggstions, but i'd like to know if anybodu can explain to me what is going on inside her head, cos she definately is not ok....

thanks
 sdfirenze - Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:04 pm

It is obviously very difficult to determine what is going inside of her head. People respond to grief in a variety of ways, some healthy, some unhealthy. It is possible that the father's death made her re-evaluate some things in her life. Hard to tell. One thing that is certain is that psychologists should NEVER "treat" themselves. Frankly, our profession is notoriously bad at self-analysis. If her bereavement is severe, she should seek some consulatation. Typically, it is expected that normal bereavement can last up to 6 months. If the individual is still suffering a depleted quality of life after 6 months, then treatment may be in order.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here