News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: America Phobia

depressed_human - Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:37 am

Hi there

I am 15 years old, I used to be alright but now I have a obsessive thought on my mind saying that when I'll go to usa after some years to study, they will hate me because I am an arab, they will disrespect me, no one will love, everyone is gonna hate me, no one is gonna accept me to live over there, even if I wanted to work, nobody is accept me and with this, I feel americans are better than me.. I really got overwhelmed by this thought despite I have some american relatives and friends.. and when I once participated on forum, some didn't like me and that made the problem bigger and bigger, please can you help to overcome such a stupid thought? :cry: :cry: this problem really makes my self esteem bleeding..
 depressed_human - Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:50 am

above all, I'd like to thank all of the workers on this site for such a philanthropic generous helps for people who are in need of help.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:17 pm

User avatar Hello,
This is not a conversation I can persue for very long, however, let me tell you this.
The United States is a culturally diverse country. Its constitution is the first secular constitution in history. It is egalitarian, not based on any particular religion, race or ethnicity. What its founding fathers had in mind was the creation of a republic of virtue. Just as you do not want Americans to believe everything they see about Arabs in the media, you should not also believe everything you see about America in the media. You should be applauding the fact that you will be lucky enough to receive an education in the US. Do not mix politics with your concept of a nation. Like any nation, there are the good and the bad. Most of the volunteers that work on this website are American. How could you possibly not get along with these?!
With the growing sense of pluralism nowadays, I'm positive you will fit in pretty well.
If you wish to aleviate your fears further, I suggest that I suggest you read some history! Go as far back as the Ancient civilizations. That way you can start to understand the story of the human being as opposed to particular nations.
Best regards,
 lilysuzanne - Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:43 pm

Most people accept arabs here in u.s. There is Apu on Seinfeld and Abu on the Simpsons. Some people do make fun of them but that is jbecause arabs have successful small businesses, like gas stations and duncan donuts. But there are a lot of doctors, psychiatrists, resteraunt owners, etc. This is my opinion on u.s. to Arabs. Most will be friendly. And most will be fat, stay away from fast food.T
 leamea - Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:53 pm

I think Apu on The Simpsons is from India, not an Arab :-D
Wherever you go, you will find most people are very good people, there may be some sour apples, but they are everywhere in the world in one form or another.
 vanessa_350 - Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:44 am

I moved to the US last year, in Boston. I am French although I have lived all my life in Morocco. All of my friends from high school are Moroccan and many have come to study here in the US, so if you think I'm not a good example, letme tell you that all of them like it now in the US and none have had problems with being Arab. First of all, you should be more confident about who you are and what you are worth. When people ask me where I am from, I say Morocco, and they usually are really interested about that and ask me so many questions about Morocco. And if one of them does have a problem with the fact that I am from Morocco, than that's too bad for him (although I have never had a problem with that so far). There are people from other Arab countries here and they mingle just fine with the Americans. However, when you do come to the US, most schools have many international students, and they usually end up hanging out with each other, and perhaps you will do that too (most of my close friends here are international students). When you apply to schools you should maybe consider Boston if you can, as there is a large number of international students here and a lot of students from Arab countries, and this might help, especially in the beginning if you feel you need to be around people who have a similar culture to yours.
But whatsoever, the most important factor in my opinion, is you being confident. If you're able to give this impression to people, this is what will attract people and have them come towards you, regardless of your looks, ethnicity...Convince yourself that you are just as good as anyone else and it everything will be just fine.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here